Flat cordite

I have a cartridge 280 Jeffery no hs that has a cracked neck. I pulled the bullet(I dont normally do this ) and noticed the cordite was in strips or ribbons approx .030 x .125 x 2.00 inches long Was this a common practice to use this style of cordite? According to flemings book the round was made by Kings Norton Thanks

J P-C is the man to give you the full story on Kings Norton ammo, but yes, cordite tape is quite common in both civilian and some British military rounds.

Cordite, although originally extruded into cord, giving it the name, can also be found as as tape, small flat discs, flaked and chopped. Which one was used depended on the burning characteristics required.

Regards
TonyE

IIRC flat cordite was also called “Axite” by some makers.

I disassemble 95% of my cartridge collection - & flat strip cordite is quite common. Kynoch manufacture was called ‘Axite’ and was brought out in 1905. It was an improved composition of cordite - less heat & pressure. I have some ctgs without hst I believe are KNMCo - sounds like that .280 J is one. JP-C

John P-C: Just a simple question, Why did you take your collection apart? Vic

Why take ammo apart? Well there’s many ways to collect ammo - e.g. on one level they might look pretty. To me the cartridge is a window on metalurgy, politics, social history, chemistry etc. I want to know about the cartridge and what it represents - not just have it. So I weigh the bullets & propellant, see what kind of wadding was used, Berdan or Boxer primer etc. You can learn an awful lot by taking ctgs apart - and get lots of surprises, e.g. I recently pulled a Kynoch .276 Pedersen, expecting to check bullet taper etc & got a real shock when it weighed 160 grains instead of the usual 125. I can’t find any reference to a 160 grain bullet in British or US manufacture - so I’ve discovered something new by pulling that bullet! I didn’t know it existed before. I draw the line at some ctgs, e.g. .40 BSA’s and Mars because they are so expensive. Hope that answers your question. JohnP-C.

That is why I like this site I now have a person who has seen the inside of most of the cartridges that I have and due to the fact you are on this site you would share this information if I needed it. Thank You Vic

I agree with JohnP-C that often what is on the inside of the cartridge is more interesting than the outside. Years ago I divested my collection of most complete cartridges an focused on collecting only sectioned rounds. I do keep intact examples of the major types and variations that I collect, but sectioned cartridges outnumber whole ones by a 10:1 ratio.

AKMS