Flobert ctges with no ball

In Italy we can find Flobert ctges not loaded with a ball from different manufacturers.
They are not ctges where the ball has been pulled out because I saw them in boxes.
Here are some examples
6 mm
6%20mm%20fiocchi

9 mm
9%20mm%20beaux

9 mm
9%20mm%20fiocchi

4 mm
s%26b%204%20mm

7 mm
7%20mm%20inc%202

Why such an use ?
Thanks
JP

Possibly for loading your own projectile or shot charge? Flobert blanks would typically be rose crimped, correct?

Although uncommon, almost all the US makes sold primed empty .22 cases.

Load your own or for perhaps loading with specialized needs - proof, dummy, or?

With the German Zimmerstutzen 4.5 mm rimfire target rifles it was common to have separate cases (called Zündhütchen = primers) and balls. The latter were manufactured in different diameters (0.05 mm/0.002" steps) and the shooter decided which diameter gave best results in his rifle.

Perhaps you should think about tariffs on loaded ammunition from other countries in order to protect local makers. Primed empty cartridges were components and could be loaded by locals and thus providing work for someone local. Think politicians trying to protect local industry. It never worked then but is still happening in some countries today.

Cheers,
Will.

For JPeelen:
“With the German Zimmerstutzen 4.5 mm rimfire target rifles it was common to have separate cases (called Zündhütchen = primers) and balls. The latter were manufactured in different diameters (0.05 mm/0.002” steps) and the shooter decided which diameter gave best results in his rifle."

• I understand that about 4.5 mm ctges.

• And also about 6 mm ctges.
    In France there were 3 kinds of 6 mm Flobert ctges. The bullet diameter was different. (the difference been the ctges were sold complete, not as only loaded cases)

• But about 9 mm Flobert I think it is different

For Powdertin:
“Perhaps you should think about tariffs on loaded ammunition from other countries in order to protect local makers”

• This can be exact about foreign (not italian) ctges.

• But it doesn’t explain about the Italian ctges.
    Perhaps there was also a tax on loaded ammo (even italian ones) and it was cheaper to buy separately cases and bullets ?

JP

Fiocchi catalogs indicate that primed empty cases in 6 and 9 mm are sold as reloading components (“per caricamenti personali”). Here is an example:

6 mm box:
Flobert%20mm%206%20vuote%20innescate%20-%201

Regards,

Fede

I called an old Italian collector.
He told me it these cases with no bullet were common after WWII due to taxes on ammunition (and I guess not on components)
Before WWII he doesn’t know, he is old but not enough !
jp

Here an other Italian Box (Metalsheet round) of cases for 9mm Flobert from Martignoni, with a sticker label glued to the box, saying: Aperto" = open, means without bullet (case open)…
As they are primed, it is easy to load them with a round ball…
Maybe the sale of loaded ammo was restricted to licensholders, but empty cases where not…
There was always a way, to circumvence eventually existing restrictions…
Here the pic:showing box and ammo

PP