Flobert manufacturer

who is this manufacturer ?
thanks
jp

Hi JP.
Unfortunatley, I don’t know the anwser to that one, but will be very interested in an answer if anyone has one. This is a scarce headstamp in Floberts. I have only seen it on a couple of specimens. St. Louis was a blast, but few Floberts for me. I hope you make it next year.

Cheers,
Will.

[quote=“powdertin”]Hi JP.
Unfortunatley, I don’t know the anwser to that one, but will be very interested in an answer if anyone has one. This is a scarce headstamp in Floberts. I have only seen it on a couple of specimens. St. Louis was a blast, but few Floberts for me. I hope you make it next year.

Cheers,
Will.[/quote]

Hello Will,
nice to see that SLICS was good for you.
Could this hstp be Russian ?

JP

Hi JP.

It looks like the Imperial Russian Eagle. If it were to be Russian, did they have a rimfire manufacturing facility in the late 19th Century and early 20th Century? Personally, I am not aware of one, but my knowledge on Russian ammunition manufacture during that time period is just about zero. I suspect that this may have been made by Sellior & Bellot or SFM or perhaps someone else, for who? Perhaps a collector from further east in Europe may be able to identify the eagle and the time period.

Cheers,
Will.

[quote=“powdertin”]Hi JP.

It looks like the Imperial Russian Eagle. If it were to be Russian, did they have a rimfire manufacturing facility in the late 19th Century and early 20th Century? Personally, I am not aware of one, but my knowledge on Russian ammunition manufacture during that time period is just about zero. I suspect that this may have been made by Sellior & Bellot or SFM or perhaps someone else, for who? Perhaps a collector from further east in Europe may be able to identify the eagle and the time period.

Cheers,
Will.[/quote]

Hi Will,
First we have to be sure it is the Russian imperial eagle.
It is not made by sfm, 100% sure.

JP

Didn’t the russian eagle have two heads?
Soren

What I do know is the double headed eagle is on the headstamp of an Austrian made 8x56R.

I think the hstp is german
jp

JP,

While I have very little to offer in the way of Flobert information, I can offer this numismatic bit of information:

Lot 2706 of Stack’s “Kroisos Collection” sale from Jan. '08 featured an 8 Ducats gold coin struck in 1721 that featured a bust of Charles VI on the obverse and the reverse is described as…“Single headed eagle wearing Crown of Charlemagne and holding sceptor and orb flies over somewhat distant city view…”

The eagle faces to its right, sceptor in its right talon, orb in its left talon. Very much like your pictured headstamp.

The listing starts: "GERMANY, NURNBERG. Freie Reichsstadt.

This is a flash link to the catalogue. Enter page 145 in the box on the left. An image of the coin is seen in the upper right. You can zoom from there.
The full text to the listing is on page 146.

s7d2.scene7.com/s7ondemand/broch … n08Kroisos

Dave

Hi Dave,
Thank you very much !

I knew the ctge with this hstp was sent by Bischweiler as sample to SFM in 1898.

It could be either a sample of Bischweiler itself, or a sample of another manufacturer.
(very often Bischweiler used to send samples available in germany to sfm for their marketing studies. Do not forget that Bischweiler was part of SFM ).

Now, because of you, we know .
This ctge is a Bischwiller manufacturing.
Indeed Bischweiller, Walninger & Munchel had their first manufacture in Nurnberg.

Thanks !

JP

I just discovered than this mark is excatly the same as tghe one of sellier et bellot excpt the eagle has one head instead of two.

jp