FN 5.7 x 28

For cataloging purposes, what is the consensus of opinion on wither the FN 5.7x28 should be considered a Rifle or a Pistol round? I currently catalog it as a rifle round, but I find it marketed mostly as a pistol round.

FN created it for the P90 submachine gun, then later developed the Five-seveN pistol to fire it. Doesn’t that make it a pistol cartridge?

It is promoted as a replacement for the 9x19 in NATO pistols and SMGs, so I think that a pistol round is correct. The same goes for the 4.6x30 HK as used in the MP7, which has very similar characteristics.

FN always marketed the P90 as a “PDW” as if to compete / replace things like the MP5, MP5k, UZI, Mac-10, and AR15 9mm carbines while also being closer to the performance of a light assault rifle in the 5.56 or 5.45 range. So they apparently intend it to be in a class of weapons which utilizes pistol-caliber ammo. And then there’s the Five-seveN pistol which makes up 50% of all weapons originally chambered for the caliber, so safe to say it is a pistol rd which just happens to have an SMG as one of its primary weapon platforms.

I tend to agree with the conclusion that it is more of a pistol round than a rifle round. I got my first 5 variations when the only weapon for it was the P90 which I considered a rifle, I originally cataloged them as Rifle cartridges, but now with the Five-seveN pistol and the fact that the P90 is really a hybrid of a Rifle and a Pistol, I’m going to change to cataloging them with my Pistol rounds.

Never thought of the 4.6x30 HK as anything but a Rifle round, but, I guess that any of these small rounds designed for compact SMG’s are really more Pistol than Rifle. Guess I need to re-catalog that one too.

In the original brochure’s from FN they talk about the P90 as a submachine gun.

“The weapen and its ammunition have to be designed jointly from the very start and developed to be one efficient,unbeatable weapen system.
The P90 weapon and SS90 BALL Round were born together.
The FN 5,7x28mm weapon system meets all your reguirements.
It will never let you down”

regards
gyrojet

Don’t forget the H&K P46 in 4.6x30. Definately a pistol.

The MP7 is designed much like an assault rifle. If HK hadn’t developed the P46 pistol in the same chambering, classifying 4.6x30mm as a rifle cartridge would’ve been understandable.

As for the P90: "Just like the Five-seveN® pistol, the P90® submachine gun was developed around the 5.7x28mm ammunition…"
fnherstal.com/index.php?id=2 … =4&detail=

The MP7 is, as its designation indicates, a machine pistol. It is a compact SMG in much the same class as the Mini Uzi, except with more range.

Incidentally, last I heard the P46 isn’t happening. I gather that HK have experienced technical problems (and maybe there wouldn’t be much interest, given that the MP7 is so compact anyway).

In Jane’s Ammunition Handbook, I have put the 4.6 and 5.7 in the “pistols, SMGs and PDWs” section. In contrast, I have put the 6x35 KAC “PDW” round into the “rifles and MGs” section (along with the .30 Carbine), because it’s not designed for handgun use.

Glad to hear somebody say that, I have always thought that its initial self-imposed classification as a PDW caliber was rather dubious. It is too big to really be considered such, and my view has always been - If it can’t fit in an actual or theoretical pistol-grip magwell housed magazine, then it isn’t a pistol caliber. Not to mention that the platform for the KAC is basically a mid-size M4 looking thing.

The CIP has put the 5,7x28 into Table 1. That means it is within the class of rimless rifle cartridges. This is done by applicant’s (FN) decision.

[quote=“DKConfiguration”]
Glad to hear somebody say that, I have always thought that its initial self-imposed classification as a PDW caliber was rather dubious. It is too big to really be considered such, and my view has always been - If it can’t fit in an actual or theoretical pistol-grip magwell housed magazine, then it isn’t a pistol caliber. Not to mention that the platform for the KAC is basically a mid-size M4 looking thing.[/quote]
Yes, that was exactly my reasoning.

As far as what the CIP does based on what FN wants, I’m sure this is marketing because FN want to be viewed as being on-par with calibers like 5.56 and 5.45