FN 5.7x28 black tip AP?

I have among various FN 5.7x28 rounds one with a black-painted tip. The headstamp is 5.7 x 28 FNB 00. I have it listed as an armour piercing round, but can find no mention of it in any of the listings of current or discontinued 5.7mm ammo.

Can anyone confirm that it is an AP (in which case I presume that it was only experimental?) and give me FN’s SS designation? Also, any details as to construction or performance?

Tony, I don’t know what your round is, but at least some of the 5.7mm ball loads exported to US agencies (the ones I saw were for a Police activity) had black tips because there was a steel core. The same rounds have no tip color in Europe-I’m told.

Cheers, Lew

Thanks Lew, that fits. I have just found another source which indicates that some of the SS190s were given black tips and it makes sense that this would be applied in USA where AP ammo is restricted.

SS190 cartridges with steel core bullets have at least two types of marking: 1) blue seal around the bullet and 2) blue seal around the bullet with black tip (for US).

Sorry I do not have access to my photos right now but will upload them later from home if somobody elese will not

My notes call them A/P…but am interesting note regarding the black tipped rounds is that notation about the appearance of the black case mouth seal.

I was told the case mouth seal was an additional ATF requirement as this cored bullet variant penetrates body armor and the additional ID was their wishes.

One of my non case mouth sealed round has the following entry in my records…WINCHESTER OLIN, QUESTION LOADED AT LAKE CITY, W/O CASE MOUTH SEAL THUS IS A DEMO ROUND, PRE ATF REQUIREMENT FOR SEAL, PENETRATES BODY ARMOR

Dave’s excellent site is listing both SS190 with black tip and without black tip. Well, personally to me mouth seal is looks like blue\purple but not black…

http://www.ammo-one.com/5-7x28mm.html