Fn 54 7.62 nato

Would Belgian 7.62 NATO made in 1954 be considered collectible. I believe Belgium was one of the first countries to adopt the cartridge, with the FN FAL going into production in 1953.

Guy,
These cartridges (or very similar) are actually described on a current thread listing items available for auction at the forthcoming SLICS. They are described as having been made for the Canadian government as ‘Cdn. EX 1PT’. It would appear that the box and it’s fifteen rounds are expected to fetch $50-60 so not particularly valuable - having said that, I would be interested if you have one for sale!
Jim

Jim,
The ones in the auction have ‘7.62’ in the headstamp where these have the NATO symbol.

ooops - duplicated post

Thanks Guy, stupid mistake on my part!

Guy.

The box in the auction contains the same rounds that you have posted a photo of. The box is scarce but not overly valuable. The rounds turn up from time to time. If I am not mistaken, this is the first production round to be adapted using the nato marking.

Cheers,
Will (the auction guy).

Will,
The headstamp posted with lot 9-12 appears to be FN 7.62 54. Is this not the headstamp that is in the box, or am I looking at the wrong auction? The headstamp I posted the picture of is FN nato symbol 54.

These rounds were certainly used in the UK at the time of the trials of the X8E1 (FN Type A) and the X8E2 (FN Type B) rifles that eventually became the L1A1 SLR, as I have a dummy round with this headstamp that I know came from those trials.

I have never seen an earlier round of any nationality with the NATO symbol. Although I have British manufactured 7.62mm from 1953 onwards, they did not receive NATO approval until 1957.

Regards
TonyE

[quote]I have never seen an earlier round of any nationality with the NATO symbol. Although I have British manufactured 7.62mm from 1953 onwards, they did not receive NATO approval until 1957.
[/quote]

Interesting. I guess I better see if I can pick up some of these.

I have some early FN boxes and cartridges with the NATO symbol

box have 1956 and cartridges 1955

and box with ball cartriges on clips 1978

[quote=“Guy Hildebrand”]
Interesting. I guess I better see if I can pick up some of these.[/quote]

Guy - Here are some of the early British 7.62 NATO rounds.

The first British versions of the T65 with Berdan primers were produced at Radway Green in late 1953 (and also possibly at Kynoch) and were unheadstamped.

Later production that year was headstamped simply “RG 53”.

Early 1954 production was similarly headstamped but later production, once the round had been approved as the ball L2A1,had this added to the headstamp.

Production of the L2A1 with this headstamp continued in early 1955 but the full title was added to the headstamp later that year.

Problems had been encountered with the L2A1 so the case web was strengthened and the new round introduced as the Ball L2A2 in late 1955. It will be encountered with both the purple annulus of regular ball and the yellow annulus of Ballistic Standard rounds. The example shown also has a yellow tip.

There are a great deal of experimental rounds produced during this period, including those with different diameter bullets and different bullet types. However, these have the same headstamps as the rounds shown and are distinguished by either coloured bullet tips or more often, coloured paint blobs on the case head.

Two of the most interesting are the AP and API rounds, based on bullet designs originally produced for the british 7mm series. These are indistinguishable externally as both have a headstamp of “RG 53” and a green primer annulus.

Hope this is of interest,
regards
TonyE

TonyE
I can assure you that most certainly is of interest! Fascinating information superbly presented. Thank you.

TonyE

Do you have any further information on the AP and API cartridges with the RG 53 headstamp?

Dave S

Lest we forget the good old U. S. of A. here are the last of the pre-NATO and the first FA NATO.

Ray

[quote=“Dave S”]TonyE

Do you have any further information on the AP and API cartridges with the RG 53 headstamp?

Dave S[/quote]

Somewhere I have some breakdown information on them which I will try to find.

Regards
TonyE

Dave
This is from P.Labbett & P.J.F.Mead from 1986
out the Technical Ammunition Guide British 7,62mm Nato Ammunition

The black tipped Kynoch rounds are considerably later than the ones I showed.

Back in 1953 there was the perception that a number of different special purpose rounds would be needed and consequently Britain developed AP, API and Observing in addtion to the ball and tracer loads. Variations in these designs were found in all the 7mm rounds under development between 1947 and 1953, and some of these were carried over to the new British version of the T65 round.

Regards
TonyE