FN 7,62x39

I like to know witch country used this cartridge from FN
Headstamp F N 77
thank you for your help.

I can’t tell about the user/customer (wish i knew) but these were made by Sako (Finland).

The same hs exists on LS and CCS cases but 1977 predates Sako and Lapua made steel cases so I am uncertain as for who made them.

Independent of the cartridges you show, the question “which country used” is most difficult to answer.

Once I was invited by the U.S. Army to take part in shooting AKMs. (Thanks again, gentlemen.) The ammunition used was manufactured in Yugoslavia (PPU) and the boxes had labels in cyrillic letters. I very much doubt that anyone could identify such as box, based on its markings, as “used by USA”.

Thanks for the response.

Alex do you now if these packed’s are rare?

Harrie, there is 2 possible answers.

If you want to give me the empty box in trade for a beer:
No, it is very common and totally useless, but I will be mercifull and relieve you from this recycling grade paper as I can need such a box for paperclips and used toothpicks.

If you want to keep it:
Well, I guess you will have a nice and not too common box! I have seen plenty of these hs but no box so far…

[quote=“JPeelen”]Independent of the cartridges you show, the question “which country used” is most difficult to answer.

Once I was invited by the U.S. Army to take part in shooting AKMs. (Thanks again, gentlemen.) The ammunition used was manufactured in Yugoslavia (PPU) and the boxes had labels in cyrillic letters. I very much doubt that anyone could identify such as box, based on its markings, as “used by USA”.[/quote]

for what it’s worth I believe the US army aquired a great deal of the PPU ammo in the late 80’s, my father worked for the army at the time and would bring me single boxes of whatever they were using and it went from russian, a few different dates and factories of 7.62 x 39 to the PPU and stayed that way for several years. i do not recall the headstamp dates of that ammo though.

one of more interesting things i got my hands on was the first 5.45 x 39 in the US which was brought in by Robert Brown.

As I recall, Brown had the first AK-74 to come to the West, along with the cartridges. Out of Afghanistan, I think, and it was missing the pistol grip unless I am recalling wrong. Time marches on and my memory is not keeping up with it.

I’m not sure about the AK 74, i believe by the time my father was involved they had several to test, in more or less complete condition. the ammo was mixed headstamp/type in unmarked 50 rd boxes, in so so condition with tracer mixed in that had lost the laquer on the tips, causing some annoyance in the chronograph testing!