FN52 ammunition

Hello,

I found some empty bullets. They are marked with FN52.
I found them in a box “M19A1 AMC-65”.

Does anybody have more information (history, year… is it something worth?) about the bullets or the box? What the numbers mean?
I know FN is Belgium.
There were also little bullets marked FN60 in the box.

!

FN made a lot of different calibers. Without measurements (with a caliper) of lengths and diameters it is not possible to identify what you have beyond that the production year is 1952. If you have a balance as used by reloaders, weighing the items would be a big help.

By the way, the blurred object in the background is what we call “bullet”. A good photograph of it would also be needed. The item you are holding is called “cartridge” (if it still has a bullet) or “case” (if it no longer has a bullet). In any case it is unfired (no firing pin indent on the primer).

Please understand that showing the headstamp alone is not enough information.

…and just to ‘muddy’ things up a bit, a cartridge in the UK is a blank and case with bullet is a round :)

Tony

So show us a picture of the case and the bullet. Please a sharp image and with some dimensions.
And let’s make a bet: it’s a 30-06.

hello
maybe a 303 british

Thanks all for the information.

I did some cleaning and have new pictures.
So I have a “case” and a “bullet”. I think somebody removed the bullet, because there is mechanical damage on the bullet and unfired.
I can’t weigh them.
And I can only post one image.

Dimensions:

case length: 63 mm
case diameter: 12 mm
Total length case + bullet: 84 mm
bullet length: 29 mm
bullet diameter: 7.8 mm

Headstamp: FN 52

This is a 7.62x63 or as non-metric people like to say: .30-06

Alex, NOBODY says 7,62x63. NOBODY says 7,7x56R, 7,62x51… It’s just .30-06, .303British, .308 win…

Really? I do! As many military systems do who are all metric. :-)

Ok, ok, you win:-). But I’m quite sure there are some amongst us who are at least confused when we talk of a 7,7x56 R

FN52, thank you for the excellent photographs.
From your first post I gather you want to know a little more about .30-06. Originally it was introduced in 1906 in the U.S. and the variation you show ist the ball M2, which was the standard cartridge in WW2 and the Korean war. An armour piercing version with a hardened steel core, identified by a black bullet tip and called AP M2, was also in wide use by U.S. troops. Even today the caliber .30 AP M2 is used as a standard in penetration tests.

Many countries used U.S. surplus weapons and ammunition after WW2. Most probably this FN 52 was made for one of them. Sorry, it is by no means rare.

The box it came in is not intended for small arms ammunition, but for an item designated M19A1 (a fuze, a hand grenade, or whatever). Others on this forum will know what it is.

But here we go about personal horizons. After all most militaries do not use inch caliber designations.
Having said this, I am working on a factory database on factroy signs and codes of communist (including former) states. There I am using exclusively metric designations. Of course I have a conversion sheet attached to make sure noone gets lost.
People who are not particularily interested in SAA simply will not understand anything from a caliber designation like .338 Lapua Magnum but as they all have visited school and can count they will have an impression of the matter when I say 8.6x70.
And to put some salt in unconvenient places: the US Army is officially metric! :-)

How about these?
5.6x15R
7.62x33
8.6x70
9x29R
10x21
11.43x23

The conversion sheet… yes, please…

EOD: Would be interested in how that metric system might describe the .54 Burnside. Jack

Jack, hehe, good question! Luckily these were never made in communist countries.

For the inch-lovers in Belgium: :-)
5.6x15R = .22l.r
7.62x33 = .30 Carbine
8.6x70 = .338 LM
9x29R = .38 Spc.
10x21 = .40 S&W
11.43x23 = .45 ACP

This might cheer you up EOD, headstamp of a contract to UK .338LM :)

Tony