FN52 ammunition

It’s a little more confusing here in the UK as many of you will know we were rather late in adopting the metric system, it actually came in during my last year at school which was a pain to say the least!.
Offical military documents,mainly for EoD purposes still use the imperial measurment for most ‘obsolete’ calibres…ie .303" 30 carbine and 30-06 was never 30-06 but .300",it really only changed with the 7.62 NATO and the .22LR still in use still is .22".
We now ‘fully’ use the metric system…well sort of, we buy our fuel in litres but drive in miles…buy our milk in litres but buy our beer in pints. :)

Tony, actually it is no surprise at all to see the 8.6 here.

So many countries are using the .338 LM in their militaries and the fewest will designate it in inch.
Police services around the globe could be different as there the military logic is often not as spread.
After all they are civilian institutions.

That is because the health department would say that a litre of beer is excessive and warrants more tax!

2 Likes

How do ya’ll in the EU designate 30-01, 30-03 if 30-06 is 7.62x63 ;)

1 Like

Thank you for the background information :).

What should I do with it ? Keep it as a souvenir, throw it away?

I have an ammo box “M19A1 ACM-65” (with a lot of rust) full with cases .30-06 in it.

So the ammo box was used for something else originally.

I do you have more information about this bullet was also in the box.

Headstamp: FN60
Length: 29.5 mm
Diameter: 10mm

Less the EU than the rest of the world. :-)

FN52,
that is a 9 mm NATO cartridge (9 x 19) for pistols and sub-machine guns.
It started its life in 1902 as 9 mm Parabellum (short 9 mm Para in German), because it was designed for the German Parabellum pistol. The NATO standardization document still is titled 9 mm Parabellum, but today it mostly is called 9 mm Luger after the designer of the Parabellum pistol, Georg Luger.
Pistol and cartridge were adopted by the German Navy in 1904 and the German Army in 1908. Today it is one of the most widely used handgun cartridges.

Ok thanks!

Sorry, I couldn’t resist…

Capture

5 Likes

Or the 7.62 x 67 (.300 Win Mag)

IMG_7652

Paul

1 Like

Paul,

Nice item, any info on this 7.62x67mm?

Brian

I’ll skate around the thin ice and the EU with us but to be honest we don’t,or ever have, if ammunition was originally known in imperial ie .303" then it still is…hence my point about the .22"LR still in service (L1A1-LIA9) is still officially know as .22"

.22 LR, .30 M1 Carbine, .338 LM- you already gave that one away, .38 Spl, 10x21 (do not know that one, and a Google search turned up nada), .45 Autmatic Cartridge Pistol.
BTW- .30-06 = .30 Caliber, U.S. Government, Model of 1906, but that is just too long to say…
but it was originally the .30 Caliber, 1903 Cartridge.

And yes, many of us do refer to cartridges by their original nomenclature [7.62x54 Rimmed] in order to differentiate them from some other cartridge.
I cannot tell you how many times someone has asked for “7.62 ammo”, and are irritated when we ask, “WHICH 7.62 round do you want?”.

Well, I have been shooting .300 Wincheater Magnum for many years, but have only seen that headstamp/nomenclature in photographs.

Brian, the one depicted has the German military headstamp.

Badgerjack, there are few military .300 Win. Mag. and the German ones never were surplussed as far as I know.
So hard to find any military type and 99.9% of those out there are all civilian with the usual inch designation.

10x21 = .40 S&W

1 Like

JPeelen, it’s quite possible this is a NATOcartridge but it lacks the NATO mark. I have this FN of 1963(seemingly the same 9 mm Luger) with the stylized wind rose. Does someone know when this symbol was standardised on NATO ammunition?

Dirk, the “NATO Design Mark” (German: NATO-Musterzeichen) was adopted in November 1959.

This mark is not indicating unlimited interchangability!

As EOD wrote, the NATO design mark is not the symbol for interchangeability (which looks like a four-leaf clover, being defined in STANAG 2315) but indicates that the ammunition was manufactured according to a standardization agreement.
The design mark, a cross in a circle, was defined in STANAG 2320. But at some time between 1996 and 2005 this STANAG must have been cancelled, because it disappeared from the documentation.
In Bundeswehr use, the design mark is now limited to identifying the type of ammunition being one of either 5.56 mm, 7.62 mm or 9 mm NATO.