FNM stands for? A lot of factorys,

Hi,

I need some help,- cause I`m confused -.-
On the headstamp page are of the IAA : cartridgecollectors.org/?page=headstampcodes I read this:
FNM Fábrica Nacional de Municiones, Santa Fe, México (near Mexico City) 3
FNM Fábrica Nacional de Munições de Armas Ligeiras, Chelas, Portugal 1
FNM Unknown Factory, Mexico 15

But how can I see where my cartridge packet comes from?

For example this one:

This is an excellent question. I cannot give a highly technical answer, but your box and rounds are definitely Portuguese. In this case, the headstamp style, label style, and cartridge designation are all standard Portuguese. Other examples of FNM use, especially South American samples, can be more difficult to positively identify.

But thats a good beginning.
Thank you.

I hope somebody can give more informations.

Would Mexico use the NATO symbol?

Generally not, I would think, unless it was a contract for a Nato country, or the customer required “Nato-spec”.

It falls to me again to ask the stupid question but is it accepted that the -1 refers to January? From the OP data it says there is a connection between the number 1 and Portugal. Or am I missing the point?

The only case of Mexico using a NATO Symbol with which I am familiar is oddly on a series of pistol-caliber proof loads made by Industrias Tecnos for Spain. I have the .380 in my own collection, and I think Lew Curtis may have the 9 mm. There is a third caliber, perhaps a .38 special. Lew Curtis can probably tell us more about them.

FNM is a confusing designation, since the initials fit well with a logical name for an ammunition factory in Spanish, Portuguese, and French, at least. Also in Italian, although I don’t think they have ever used those initials with a factory name.

I don’t recall the reason for the two different FNM entries on the IAA headstamp list, for Mexico, although admittedly, I was one of the people involved with making that list. It is not up to date, still has many errors that were NOT on the original list as submitted, as badly needs someone (not me!) to upgrade it. I submitted lists of spelling errors at least twice, and they were never utilized. The box shown is a good example. Since the words used on it could be either Spanish or Portuguese, it is only the cartridge designation that reveals the country of origin.

Of course, the best thing is that you can ask about headstamps on this Forum, where you will usually get excellent answers like JonnyC’s.

As Jon ably pointed out, sometimes you have to use clues other than a headstamp to figure some of these out - primer cup material, bullet ogive, color, and presence or not, of sealants, headstamp layout (although it is not much help, generally with NATO-approved cartridges since most of them use the same trinomial headstamp), etc. Box labels help to, since they give you a language to work with, usually, and sometimes a cartridge designation specific to a particular country, as in the case of “M947” for the Portuguese box.

Manual, First, your box is by FNM Fábrica Nacional de Munições de Armas Ligeiras, Chelas, Portugal.

If you think the code “FNM” is confusing, try “P”. The list on the website is only a starting point for researchers. Sadly, it hasn’t been updated in quite a few years because we don’t have anyone in the IAA with both the skill, and more importantly the time, to undertake the task, and it is a big one. John and I with help from some others put the original list together, and we tried to keep it updated for a while but it quickly exceeded the time we had available, and we are both pistol guys and there are many headstamps for rifle ammunition we wouldn’t run across. Notice we never got around to adding shotshells, large caliber or rimfires/pinfires/etc. The database can handle it but nobody has had the time.

When the list was put together, it was decided that it would be limited to only the codes. Trying to explain how to differentiate between them was way to large an effort for the resources available.

Cheers,

Lew