Forum Suggestion

Now that the political comments section of the forum has been removed,( a good move in my opinion,) can I make a suggestion for something to replace it?

How about a forthcoming events and shows section where advance notice can be given of things that are happening that may be of interest to members.

we could have stickys for permanent exhibitions as well.

Falcon’s current post about a show that took place last week roughly 60 miles from where I live is a good example why such a section is needed. I knew nothing about it.

I just thought I would bounce the idea around and see what the rest of you think.

Vince

It is actually a very good idea. We live all over the world but some of us are neigbours. For instance, there was a small local show/sale next to me last weekend. Most of you are too far away to care but I know a couple of forum users who are close enough and may actually attend. Plus, such a forum will give us a general feel for militaria activity around the world. For instance, you will not see any postings about New Jersey, which will probably surprise our non American friends. So they will not be seeking to go there on a business trip to look for little treasures in the evening. And we can make Pennsylvania Cartridge Collectors Show in Lancaster,PA on Aug.14-15 the first entry. Jon, do you like this plug?

Sounds like a good idea. We’ll talk it over and see how we want to handle it. Thanks guys.

Chris.

Hey Vince

Excellent idea. I learned about the WAR & PEACE Beltring show through BOCN. Apparently the “SHOT Show”, Knob Creek and Disneyworld all rolled into one. There is talk among those forum users of starting a less commercialized version, more along the lines of SLICS, just more ammo/ordnance related.

I do note Jon C’s and a few others postings of shows on here, via the “WANTED/FOR SALE” section. Which is quite effective.

On this side of the pond, the MILITARY VEHICLES Magazine has a section of upcoming shows listed. On your side, CLASSIC MILITARY VEHICLE magazine has a section titled FRONTLINE, dedicated to military event schedules.

This is a very sensible suggestion, enabling members en-route to an event to team up on transport.

If this section is not a runner I suggest a Sea Story/War Story/BS section instead. Ray, Rick and I will be founder members!

gravelbelly

I think that would be a worthwhile section, you three come out with some brilliant stories.

I’m in.

Your friendly neighborhood webmaster likes the idea. However, the devil is in the details.

Who will be allowed to post?
How do we keep spam out of it?
How far in advance of the event?
How will posts be submitted?
How will they be organized (in order received, by date of event? Location?) and who/how will it be sorted?
What type events can be posted? Auctions, ctg shows, gun shows, shoots, pro-gun rallies, flea markets, military vehicle shows? Parades? All these may have some interest for ctg collectors. but do we want to become a big scheduling site?
Cost to post?
Members only post, or anyone who has registered for the forum?

THe forum master (Chris B.) can probably work all that stuff out, but we need to minimize the workload and keep it as automated as possible, but still with some human oversight for quality control.

Chris and others will work this behind the scenes for a while.

This Forum has evolved over the past years similar to others that I visit. Starts out rather limited in scope but grows as more members join with broader interests. The added interests are usually accomodated by new “sub forums” such as has been suggested here.

To be completely honest I would prefer a Forum that dealt only in cartridges. And, I’d limit the definition of “cartridges” to Cal 50 and under. Maybe one sub-forum for anything over .50. That’s it. No bombs, artillery, rockets, special munitions, grenades, etc. unless you’d want to include that kinda stuff in the sub-forum.

I know that I’m one of the worst offenders when it comes to non cartridge topics and plain old BS, and have little right to preach, but I’d gladly give that up in exchange for a return to years past when the Forum (this one and it’s predecessor) were cartridge oriented.

To the immediate question - I have no interest in cartridge shows and such, and probably would never look at a new sub-forum. I would rather see the passing of show information person-to-person via PMs and e-mail.

But that’s me. Your mileage may vary.

JMHO

Ray

I think it would be a nice addition, patterned after the buy/sell/trade page. Here’s my input to specifics;
Who will be allowed to post? IAA members
How do we keep spam out of it? Must be pre-approved or posted by moderator, like BST forum.
How far in advance of the event? 60 days?
How will posts be submitted?
How will they be organized (in order received, by date of event? Location?) and who/how will it be sorted?
What type events can be posted? Auctions, ctg shows, gun shows where ammunition sales are allowed.
Cost to post? None, but would favor a fee for promoters.
Members only post, or anyone who has registered for the forum? Members only

I tend to side with Ray but I’m just as guilty as others about getting off topic. Would love to have a page for general chatter. This is a pretty nice bunch of folks with common interest and nice to converse with.

I go with Ray on this and also admit to wandering off topic now and then.

This is a cartridge forum.

Nice though a general forum sounds they have a habit of becoming very MOD intensive to regulate properly.

Would not the posting of events and shows fit well into the current Buy/Sell/Trade sub-forum? Just make it “Buy/Sell/Trade/Events”. It is limited to IAA members and the purpose of the listing, be it for profit or informational or both, is within the intent of that sub-forum.

As for breaking down the current General Ammunition Collector Discussion, if it has evolved to be a hassle for folks to bypass discussions on ammunition other than small arms cartridges, a simple breakdown would be easy (Maybe not for the administration!?!)…

1. Small Arms Cartridges (.50 Cal. and Under and Shotgun).

2. All other Ammunition.

The first holds to the original purpose of the organization and the second to the expanded scope of study that is now promoted by the International Ammunition Association.

Pure opinion, of course…
Dave

Would not the posting of events and shows fit well into the current Buy/Sell/Trade sub-forum? Just make it “Buy/Sell/Trade/Events”. It is limited to IAA members.

I like a events and show addition.

regards
gyrojet