Found a differently marked box of 6.5mm Swedish

So I’m organizing some of my shooting ammo in the closet & I come across this:

Please take my apologies for the phone camera.

I notice “prickskytteam” instead of just “prickskytte” printed on the box. Random typical m/41 box from online:

Hmm.

So I dig through a swedish ammunition book (1960) & find this:

So there are two different loadings. Prickskytte & prickskytteam. Okay cool so whats it mean? Google translate gives me this off the note from the book:

That doesn’t seem to make sense at the end but apparently this stuff was built on new sleeves (casings) and was more accurate than typical. I can say regular m/41 is dang good shooting surplus to begin with.

Sooo… was this ammunition specifically made to higher standards or was it regular m/41 that just wound up being more accurate than usual then marked differently?

What might it have been used for? If its particularly more accurate than typical m/41 did the Swedish military set it aside for a special pourpose?

-CBA

1 Like

Prickskytte means something like “precision shooting”, and prickskytteam “Precision shooting ammunition”, that is for use by snipers or target shooting.
The text could be translated to something like “With especially good accuracy and With New cases mostly for use in mobilization (at war)”.

3 Likes

Okay thanks for the clarification morten!

So I’m guessing they were set aside for snipers being more accurate & considering the phrase “use in mobilization” ??

So how common are these?

I can’t imagine they are rare, although I’ve never noticed one before.

Man I’m glad I didn’t shoot them, phew.

-CBA

I don’t know how uncommon they are. Definetly not rare, probably not even very uncommon. But save the Box, they don’t make them anymore :-)
morten

1 Like

Since I have a Mod 86 and Ljungman, I grab 6.5 Swedish ammo whever I see it, especially in the military boxes, and I have never seen that lable, (which might not mean too much?).
Very cool!

1 Like

Yeah the price people want for m/41 is silly. Its good ammo for SURPLUS, but honestly doesn’t seem to shoot measurably better than PPU from what I’ve experienced.

Man I wished when I was a boy & mowing yards I would have bought m/41 up by the battlepacks cause it was dirt cheap. My dad had an m/96 (thats now tucked safely away at my place) & I remember going to gunshows looking for “the silver bullets” in the age before online shopping. Being our family immigrated from Sweden all this is dear to my heart.

Anyways.

I have also never seen a box marked like this BUT I’ve never looked for them, so who knows how many have slipped by me over the years dangit.

I guess I have something else to look for now.

-CBA

…maybe, or maybe not, BUT, the box is MUCH more cool!!!

1 Like

In my unaltered Model 96 Carl Gustavs Stads rifle, PPU ammunition shows well - no complaints - but with accuracy I would expect from military ball. The absolutely most accurate load in my own Model 96, and my Huqvarna Model 38 as well, was Swedish Ball ammunition , with CNCS bullet, with headstamp / 8 / / 7 / 070. I am embarrassed to say I was never able to do more than equal its accuracy with my own handloads assembled with Lapua match cases, 140 grain match bullets (seated with a palm-type straight-line bullet seater) and high quality primers. I never could best it.

John Moss

1 Like

Definitely right Badger, way cooler. The one thing I love about m/41 is sacrificing them to my ljungman. Who’s brutal ejection sends brass into a low earth orbit, trashing rims along the way. Then I don’t have to worry about ruining reloadable brass. I’m sure you’re familiar with the issue being a ljungman owner.

John: most of my m/41 is also from 070 & 1987, must have been a big year.

For the bolt actions, I just pony up for factory Lapua ammo. It stings the ole wallet but like yourself, I can’t match its consistency. I’ve used it to 4-500m in my m/96 & about 7-750m in my Tikka but I’m running out of glass by that point.

-CBA

CBA - Actually, it was the Swedish 070 I couldn’t match. I handloaded the cartridges, to bench-rest standards, in Lapua match cases, and while I shot them about as well as the 070 rounds, they were no better. My rifles are still military sights, and I was about 60 when I acquired them, so most of my shooting with them was confined to 100 yards.

I don’t shoot the Husqvarna “short rifle” much, as I enjoy shooting the Model 96. I have only shot my 94 carbine once. It was not terribly satisfying, probably due to the shorter sight radius.

That Swedish ammo is darned good. Of course, the 6.5 x 55 mm cartridge is likely one of the better cartridges ever designed. Light recoil, inherent good accuracy, and the like. Am not a hunter, so no comments on that, but I know they do well with it even on bigger animals in Scandinavia.

While I don’t collect it (I have about 24 or 25 set aside) it is also a nice cartridge for collecting. Lots of nice cartridge variations, headstamps, etc., but one doesn’t need to have several thousand specimens to have a darned good collection. Actually, I should have collected it beginning 55 years ago when I got into cartridges.

John

Yes, I know what you mean. I had 8 or 9 Swedish 96 & 96/38, but I ended up getting rid of all except the one dated 1900. My eyes are getting where I have trouble with the sights, but I am hard pressed to part with that one…