Found possible explosive

Hi. I found some kind of mortar and would love to know what type it is and if it was spent or not.
I resisted the urge to take it home and have left it alone as it could still be live!

I can only post one image but could send more if needed.
It’s approximately 15 inches in length.

Thanks, Jake

1 Like

Where did you find it?

hello
please don’t touch it ,i m sure that it live ,the fuze is broken but still dangerous

I found it in a field in the south of England, Sussex. Apparently during the 2nd world war there was a Canadian army camp in the area.

1 Like

Yes I thought it might be due to the fact it’s almost in one piece. I’m going to contact the police shortly, was just interested to find out about it. Thanks

1 Like

good decision

this shell maybe a 105mm HE or WP smoke

Can we get a photo from the rear view?

Not likely to be WP but maybe a fired smoke or illum.

Looks like a typical 25-pdr base ejection smoke. Carrier shell. Guessing you found this in West Sussex on the South Downs.

The Bomb disposal team turned up yesterday and sorted it out. Turns out it was a practice shell filled with concrete. Unfortunately they wouldn’t let me keep it even after they had blown it up! Thanks for all the advice, apparently there are lots around here so I’ll keep my eyes peeled. One of the old boys in the village told me that they found hundreds when clearing a local site for development and they just used to throw them on the fire and hide! The good old days eh!

I can’t load the video to show you but it was a good loud bang!

Cheers

2 Likes

Question: Did they blow it up first and then tell you it was a concrete filled practice OR they first examined it to find out it was a dummy and THEN blew it up?

Keep in mind that one practice today does not mean the one tomorrow will be a practice (or harmless) too.
So do a favour to yourself and your family and simply stay away and keep calling the experts.

Also there is baiscally no value in these items.

1 Like

I don’t know if they had already worked out it was a practice shell as I kept my distance until it was done but they must be fairly well versed at this sort of thing. I guess they have to err on the side of caution and blow things up first and ask questions later! Plus they had driven for an hour to get here with a truck full of explosives and the practice always comes in handy.
I think they placed explosives between the remains of the fuze and the shell then blew it up as the fuze was separated from the rest of the shell after the explosion. Fuze and shell were separated but still intact due to the concrete and still looked like decent souvenirs. They wouldn’t let me have it though as it would need to be X-rayed back at the office to make sure it was safe. I’ve found fossils and various ordnance remains here and thought this would be a good addition to the collection, I’m not interested in it for monetary value. The officer said that the fuze is the dangerous part of these things even if they appear broken. Don’t worry any future finds will be dealt with in similar fashion, although it is tempting to put one under the wife’s side of the bed!

You may put the bed with your wife inside elsewhere - worked well for me!

1 Like

I am a little surprised to see the Navy bomb squad using such a prominently marked car. I have seen (army) bomb squads using intentionally neutral cars, which in addition could be disguised as being from some unsuspicious commercial enterprise.

In the UK when EOD was almost exclusively CMD, the livery of the vehicles was service green with red wings. When the workload started to include terrorist IEDs, white non-descript vehicles were used, especially those used to convey large equipment such as ‘wheelbarrow’ There was removable signage on the sides of the vehicles. Apparently, one of the reasons for the signage was to identify the vehicle as military and not police which was especially important in the early 1980s during the miners’ strike. What is unusual about this vehicle is that it is liveried but wearing civilian registration plates.

Tim, just a few minutes back I came across this video. Not up to date as for procedures and safety (as it is only a public demonstration I guess) but the vehicle is definately it.
BTW, today at least one UK mine clearance NGO “Mines Advisory Group” (but heavily govt. oriented I feel) is still using vehicles (same type) with red wings.