Frangible

I read the US ARMY are adopted a frangible cartridge in 7,62 x 51
I have a picture but it is not good picture
the color of the ball it is good, where is built this cartridge?

The only headstamp I have seen on this load is (NATO) F A 64. (Frankford Arsenal, 1964)

the color are correct the head green and the circle white?

sam, yes this is correct. The same identification scheme was later used on one batch of “starlight” tracers which, as I understand it, was a factory error and not repeated . . . it would be very unpleasant to have a frangible type used on some target only to discover it was in fact a full jacketed projectile with a volatile component! I’m really surprised they were allowed out of the factory in such large numbers (the green over white tracer loading).

Ive got a M160 Frangible with a LC 75 h/s.
Ive also got a pre acceptance XM160 Frangible with a FA 62 + (nato) h/s
If my notes are correct it was accepted in 1966

And yes the same colour code was accidentally used on XM276 3rd type tracer rounds instead of the correct green over pink. I have both tip colour variations produced by LC and dated 69 and 70

I just picked up a Frangible round today with the h/s + FA 65

would this be a XM160 round?

Yep, I checked in a couple of books and according to Scrantons Colour Coded Bullets page 572 the XM160 was standardised in 1966 as the M160

I have a Frangible headstamped FA 62. (not NATO)

Ray

I thought that it might be worth giving some background on the frangible bullet used in the 7.62 NATO rounds with green and white tips. These bullets were left over from the original .30-06 Frangible Load “T44 Frangible Cartridges” made for Operation Pinball during WWII. The bullet, which weighed from 105.5 to 109.0 grains, was developed by Duke University of Durham, North Carolina, working in conjunction with Bakelite Corporation, a Division of Union Carbide Corporation, located in Bound Brook, New Jersey.
The original Operation Pinball was a training system developed wherein these frangible bullets were fired at specially armored P-39 and P-63 fighter planes from training bombers with the guns changed from .50 caliber MGs to .30 Caliber MGs. These were flying aircraft, and the P-39s and P-63s were piloted, they were not flying remote! Therefore, the consistant performance of the frangible bullet - that is, breaking up all the time - was crucial. These fighters would make mock attaks on the bombers, and were fired on by the bombers using this live ammunition. It was probably much better training that the skeet shooting done by gunners during training in WWII. The potential hazards of the system are obvious, however.

After WWII, there were sufficient stores of these projectiles available so that they were used in the 7.62 x 51 loads discussed herein. I don’t actually know the exact purpose that these 7.62 NATO frangibles were used for, as these military rifle cartridges are out of my field, and there is no really decent book on the 7.62 x 51mm cartridge at this time.

I have just given a very brief outline. The original .30-06 ammunition is covered in the books “.30-06” by Chris Punnett, and “The History of Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition,” by Hackley, Woodin and Scranton."
There is a cursory look at the 7.62 version of the cartridge in the book "Die Milit