Frankford Arsenal bullet puller

Interesting marketing by China.

Vlad

“Frankford Arsenal” is a trademark of MIDWAY USA - or the other way around? Who knows who owns who in today’s corporate world.

Everything is made in China.

Ray

It looks exactly like my Quinetics bullet puller. On mine there is no indication from the box or on the item itself that it was made in China. The Quinetics website says their products are “made in the USA.” Of course, the FA model may be a knockoff made in China - everything else is.

A very sturdy and rugged implement - I have pulled thousands of bullets with it and nothing has broken yet. Very slow, though. That’s one of those mindless activities I perform while sitting on the floor watching television, using a lead block as a striking surface. Can be done only when my wife’s not around.

All of the inertia pullers are knock-offs of the original from many years ago. Back to the 1950s at least. Quinetics is (was) a trademark of RCBS - or the other way around. It would surprise me if the Quinetics was really made in the USA, notwithstanding their advertising. The Quinetics does have one design flaw - the little “Q” cast into the body is a weak spot and will eventually break loose.

I have a Quinetics puller I have had for many years and although it doesn’t say “Made in USA” it does have a U.S patent number and a Texas location.

Does anyone remember this one? It is the first puller I bought. It has a 1962 date on the handle.

The Gun Products puller was terrible. I had one for awhile, and the white plastic cap flew off every time. I had to keep it in place with masking tape which really slowed things down. The pictured Quinetics is just like mine. Even though I live in San Antonio, I know nothing about the company. I assume they are still in business as their website is active.

I notice there are longitudinal cracks in the Quinetics handle. Mine has these also.

Phil: Yes, I have one of those Gun Products jobbies, and back in my bullet pulling days used it quite a little bit. Usually if I used it to pull the bullet from a rimless cartridge the rim got burred a bit. I can still spot these forty-some-odd years later. Don’t recall the stamping on the handle, but will check that out. Maybe mine’s the ultra-rare “pre-stamp” variant or something! Jack

Phil, here is mine. No date on the handle, just says “Kexplore”, guess it’s a post-1962 model.

My Quinetics is marked Houston Texas and PAT PEND. It is also marked RCBS ®. Maybe an earlier version?

The Kexplore was one of the first inertia pullers. One that I used for years.

Note the Houston addresses on 3 of 4 of the pullers. It seems that Texas has the ideal climate for manufacturing bullet pullers.

Also note that the address on the packaging of the puller in Vlad’s IP is the same as MIDWAY USA.

The first Frankford pullers used a two lug interrupted thread design to speed the process of removing the cap. Also plastic collets. The only trouble was that the lugs broke after a few tries. Collets didn’t fare too well either. Midway must have lost quite a bit of money on them, since they replaced mine without any qualms. And since the current puller is almost an exact copy of the Quinetics design, must have paid the royalties to have it produced or RCBS/Quinetics/Outters would have had their lunch. They do work well, though. Cheers, Bruce.

Perhaps the patent on the quinetics one has expired now.

I recently broke the plastic screw-on cap on my quinetics puller. However, another collector I know here in the UK had broken the body of an FA one the day before. My green quinetics puller is now unique in that it has a blue cap. It is such a close copy that the threads are identical.