Frankford Arsenal Krag Sub-Caliber Box

Hi, All…

Recently acquired this box and cartridges…thought I would share…
Box is minus its top but still pretty neat…
Cartridge has a .25" diameter copper primer and is unheadstamped…

Randy

Randy, what can I say, couldn’t you find one in better condition?

GREAT BOX, very, very NICE!!!

I was always told, when I had my Krag Rifles and therefore a selection of original Krag cartridges, that the round pictured was a “guard load.”

Once again, the importance of documentation! What a Forum! Great box and fine picture. It would be a nice world if everything we, as collectors, found was mint. But I agree with the unsaid words by Pete in his reaction to this find, INFORMATION IS KING. This box has it. Fabulous item! Thanks for sharing it with us.

John…

Frankford Arsenal, and some of the commercial companies, made Krag guard loads. They were made with two 42 gr round balls, one 42 gr round ball beneath a 156 gr lead bullet, 156 gr lead bullet only, and 177 gr lead bullet. To name a few…

The cartridges very similar to this one, headstamped F A and various dates, .21" dia. primer, are relatively common. What makes this cartridge unique is the large copper .25" diameter primer and no headstamp…

Randy

Randy - thank you for the additional information. I had a number of other guard loads in my little U.S. Martial Cartridge collection at the tme I was also collecting U.S. Infantry Rifles (and cheated with a few carbines, as long as they were Army Issue - I did not collect any Navy or Marine Corps issues). I can’t honestly say now, years later, that my one similar to the round you show was identical in all ways to your cartridge on this thread. I sold the collection of rifles 14 years ago, to finance my retirment while awaiting the company’s retirement plan to be reapproved, because the company went out of business rather that it just be a single-employee retirement, by the moronic bureaucrats in the U.S. Govt, who kept losing our paper work and otherwise screwing up. My wife and I were without income for a little over a year, so it helped to have those assets to dispose off. I simply gave away most of the cartridges, since I had little that was even scarce.