FREE site for english ammunition

Hello,

here is a nice free site for english ammunition. Steven Johnson of Cyberheritage did a great shop to collect regulations and show the on this site. From oldtime Palliser shots to moder Nato stuff. Crates, Labels ect.
.22 to big bore. Nordenfeldt guns, aiming tubes, Hotchkiss up to seamines and torpedoes.

You will enjoy

web.ukonline.co.uk/stephen.johnson/arms/

Nice ammo storage

Thanks for the link - looks like a very useful site, although his aversion to live ammunition was a surprise. Unfortunately, I guess that is to be expected with the ludicrous restrictions imposed by many jurisdictions / nations.

I have seen this site before, the diagrams are useful. The warning about live ammo is probably him covering his back as we in the UK are getting the US “sue anyone for anything” culture.

FROM THE SITE "No correspondence will be entered into on any subject relating to live ammunition

Note Well!

"ordnance is designed for the mostpart to kill and that any tampering with live ammunition is a deadly and illegal game. Ammunition no matter how old is still potentially lethal"
END QUOTE

“2 Peoples divided by a common language”.- Churchill

What does “TAMPERING” mean in UK ENGLISH ?

The us translation might be

“to deal with”

you shouldt add an " Webster Dictionary " to your wish list :-)

“Tampering” means fooling with, usually in the context of dismantling / attempting to dismantle something you do not know about how to dismantle / alter.

[quote=“genkideskan”]The us translation might be

“to deal with”

you shouldt add an " Webster Dictionary " to your wish list :-)[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. One of my degrees is a Doctorate of letters in the Humanities from a British University. I am familiar with the language and have all the major dictionaries including the complete OED( Oxford English ) which is the last word in the language. The Websters are more American English centered and should not be used to interpret UK English when a UK English dictionary is available. Common example; putting something in your “boot” in England could end up in the car in the US it would end up next to your foot.

“Tampering” would not translate as “to deal with” in American or UK English.

Tampering as a literal word in both American and UK English has a NEGATIVE meaning; to meddle,interfere with,damage,corrupt.etc. THUS, doing something BAD with live ammunition according to the text from this site.

Is it possible to do anything GOOD with live ammunition in the UK - today ?

My question is just what does “tampering” mean in todays antigun-antiammo UK world.

Some of the best collections of ammo in the world are and have been at risk in the UK.

This would be best answered by collectors in the UK.

THANK YOU FOR POSTING IN ENGLISH ! German does me very little good .

[quote=“CSAEOD”][quote=“genkideskan”]The us translation might be

“to deal with”

you shouldt add an " Webster Dictionary " to your wish list :-)[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. One of my degrees is a Doctorate of letters in the Humanities from a British University. I am familiar with the language and have all the major dictionaries including the complete OED( Oxford English ) which is the last word in the language. The Websters are more American English centered and should not be used to interpret UK English when a UK English dictionary is available. Common example; putting something in your “boot” in England could end up in the car in the US it would end up next to your foot.

“Tampering” would not translate as “to deal with” in American or UK English.

Tampering as a literal word in both American and UK English has a NEGATIVE meaning; to meddle,interfere with,damage,corrupt.etc. THUS, doing something BAD with live ammunition according to the text from this site.

Is it possible to do anything GOOD with live ammunition in the UK - today ?

My question is just what does “tampering” mean in todays antigun-antiammo UK world.

Some of the best collections of ammo in the world are and have been at risk in the UK.

This would be best answered by collectors in the UK.

THANK YOU FOR POSTING IN ENGLISH ! German does me very little good .[/quote]

It is possible to collect live cartridges in the UK but not easy. You have to have a Firearms Certificate (FAC), issued by your local police force, which specifies which types and quantities you are authorised to possess. My FAC allows me to possess ball, tracer, incendiary, armour piercing, expanding (such as hollowpoint). There is no specific upper limit to calibre but I rarely stray above 20mm. This may look restrictive to some collectors but not as bad as some US states.

gravelbelly

That is news. Previous info was that NO LIVE AMMO was allowed to be collected. Licenses drive Americans crazy - we don’t trust government because it is made up of folks like us.

So far it appears that Koleefornya has the worst laws with major collectors having to shed their tracers, incend. etc. They have good reasons there - BIG FIRES and not worth the risk.

Our Federal laws seem strange in that you can own a live 105mm tank AP but not a live 20mm incendiary bullet. State and local laws also have to be considered.

[quote=“CSAEOD”]That is news. Previous info was that NO LIVE AMMO was allowed to be collected. Licenses drive Americans crazy - we don’t trust government because it is made up of folks like us.

So far it appears that Koleefornya has the worst laws with major collectors having to shed their tracers, incend. etc. They have good reasons there - BIG FIRES and not worth the risk.

Our Federal laws seem strange in that you can own a live 105mm tank AP but not a live 20mm incendiary bullet. State and local laws also have to be considered.[/quote]

The main problem here is that each constabulary interprets the law differently, mostly in accordance with the views/prejudices of the current chief constable. So some counties are more difficult than others. I have held an FAC continuously since about 1963, despite several house moves which brought me under different constabularies. Few people understand cartridge collectors, even fewer policemen/women understand collectors.

When I last renewed my FAC (done every 5 years) I was told that I was the sole cartridge collector in the county. About 25 years ago, whilst going through the renewal process, a policeman called at the house to see where and how my firearms and ammunition were stored. The guns were difficult enough for him, the cartridge collection blew his mind completely. The highlight of the visit came when he spotted some 20x110mm Hispano and 20x110RBmm Oerlikon rounds. He asked; “are those live?”. I replied “of course”. He said “you aren’t allowed to have those”. I said that I am allowed because my FAC (then) said “up to 20mm calibre”. He looked astonished and said " I thought that meant the LENGTH!". Exit one worried policemen. A few days later two more turned up, one man and one woman. The policewoman seemed more knowledgeable, having done some target shooting, but was put firmly in her place by the MAN. He eventually admitted that he didn’t know what he was looking at and would take advice before returning. Two more arrived, one was “THE EXPERT” brought up from another constabulary. This one looked at the drawers and declared that I had more ammo that I was allowed. I explained that this collection included all types of each cartridge and that dummies, drill, blanks etc. do not require a licence. After a lengthy examination of many single cartridges he said “well, if you say its right, it must be.” My FAC was renewed without more ado.

gravelbelly

Aha ,

somebody never stop learning.

[quote=“gravelbelly”][quote=“CSAEOD”]That is news. Previous info was that NO LIVE AMMO was allowed to be collected. Licenses drive Americans crazy - we don’t trust government because it is made up of folks like us.

Our Federal laws seem strange in that you can own a live 105mm tank AP but not a live 20mm incendiary bullet. State and local laws also have to be considered.[/quote]

The main problem here is that each constabulary interprets the law differently, mostly in accordance with the views/prejudices of the current chief constable. So some counties are more difficult than others. I have held an FAC continuously since about 1963, despite several house moves which brought me under different constabularies. Few people understand cartridge collectors, even fewer policemen/women understand collectors.

When I last renewed my FAC (done every 5 years) I was told that I was the sole cartridge collector in the county. About 25 years ago, whilst going through the renewal process, a policeman called at the house to see where and how my firearms and ammunition were stored. The guns were difficult enough for him, the cartridge collection blew his mind completely. The highlight of the visit came when he spotted some 20x110mm Hispano and 20x110RBmm Oerlikon rounds. He asked; “are those live?”. I replied “of course”. He said “you aren’t allowed to have those”. I said that I am allowed because my FAC (then) said “up to 20mm calibre”. He looked astonished and said " I thought that meant the LENGTH!". Exit one worried policemen. A few days later two more turned up, one man and one woman. The policewoman seemed more knowledgeable, having done some target shooting, but was put firmly in her place by the MAN. He eventually admitted that he didn’t know what he was looking at and would take advice before returning. Two more arrived, one was “THE EXPERT” brought up from another constabulary. This one looked at the drawers and declared that I had more ammo that I was allowed. I explained that this collection included all types of each cartridge and that dummies, drill, blanks etc. do not require a licence. After a lengthy examination of many single cartridges he said “well, if you say its right, it must be.” My FAC was renewed without more ado.

gravelbelly[/quote]

Saint Barbara must be working on your side. Here you would have been arrested and the explanations would have been made in court most likely by an expensive lawyer.

GOOD LUCK with the next one !

This is really disturbing: “The highlight of the visit came when he spotted some 20x110mm Hispano and 20x110RBmm Oerlikon rounds. He asked; “are those live?”. I replied “of course”. He said “you aren’t allowed to have those”. I said that I am allowed because my FAC (then) said “up to 20mm calibre”. He looked astonished and said " I thought that meant the LENGTH!”."

BUT, it reminds me of a big Japanese case which I bought from a big named auction house. I don’t remember the measurements but they advertised it as some huge size caliber. I made several calls doubting their description and requests for photos which were denied but they assured me that the case mouth measured somewhere near 400mm DIAMETER and remeasured it for me TWICE . I bid high received the case and ,of course, the morons had actually measured the circumference of the mouth. It was the 120mm AA gun case which is a good case but not worth the price.
My next call to them went like this: “You #%#@%&##@@%#@#% MORONS- last time I do business with you! Your staff can’t even measure a circle”.