French 20x110 Headstamp

I got this case earlier today at a flea market. It is a fired brass 20x110 Hispano case, I believe it is French manufacture. The headstamp is:

–HSS
01—39
----A

Does “HSS” stand for Hispano-Suiza along with another letter? Is “A” the case metal suplier? I know the UK did early trials of the guns using French ammunition, this could be from that as the date fits.

I have some 20x110 Oerlikon shell cases that also have the letter code “A”. I know of several possible makers, one of them could be the Dutch “Artillery Inrichtingen”, formerly “Hembrug”. However, I have not yet been able to verify.

Therefore, I am curious to other possible makers that use the letter “A”.

[quote=“Falcon”]I got this case earlier today at a flea market. It is a fired brass 20x110 Hispano case, I believe it is French manufacture. The headstamp is:

–HSS
01—39
----A

Does “HSS” stand for Hispano-Suiza along with another letter? Is “A” the case metal suplier? I know the UK did early trials of the guns using French ammunition, this could be from that as the date fits.[/quote]

Swiss military Headstamp
HSS : Hispano Suiza
A : Fabrique F

Thanks, was the factory that made this case loocated in Switzerland or elsewhere?

Altdorf is in Switzerland.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks Tony, I see what Maverick was saying now. The “HSS” simply represents the weapon the cartridge is for, and the case was made at Altdorf, not by Hispano-Suiza

France did import a good lot of Swiss-made 20 mm HS ammunition before WWII. The deliveries were stopped by Switzerland when the war began, as they wanted to show their neutrality…
This did not avoid the delivery of quantities of 2 cm Oerlikon to Germany during the war…Business is business…!

Philippe