French .30 Carbine battle pack

Can anyone tell me the headstamp I should see if I opened this battle pack? It is un-open.

Your French-made .30 Carbine ammunition was produced at Atelier de Construction de Valence in the first quarter of 1964. The manufacturter on the headstamp would be “VE” and I suspect the case-metal supplier would be either “BD” or “S” from the manufacturing period. However, that is just a guess. There is absolutely no way to tell that I am aware of from your battle pack label. If you open this for shooting, be warned that it is corrosive ammunition very poorly suited for the captive pistol in the M1, M1A1, M2 and M3 carbines. That piston was never intended to be removed constantly by troops in the field for cleaning (they are staked into place to prevent it), and yet unless one wishes a piston frozen with rust, it must be done firing this French ammunition. When it appeared as surplus on the US market, we stopped selling it very quickly due to damage to customer’s carbines, even though we warned them about it. It simply created too many hard feelings for good public relations with out clients.

Why would the French field corrosive primed ammunition for the Carbine?

AKMS

AKMS - That is a question for the ages to figure out. Doesn’t make any sense to anyone who understands the short-stroke, captive piston in an M1 Carbine.
Frankly, it is really bad ammo. Lots of problems with it when we sold it for a short time. Cost us some money as we destroyed all remaining stock of it when we quickly made the decision to stop selling it, even though we had properly described it as “corrosive” to our customers. We even did a mild steel plate rust test to be sure it was the ammo. It sure was. I assume it was the primer, and not some reaction from something in the powder - not sure powder, in that sense, can even ever be corrosive. The only worse carbine ammo we ever had was from the Dominican Republic. We stopped selling that quickly, also.