FRENCH 30X150mm HV DISPLAY

The French 30x150B aircraft cannon used on the Dassault Rafale is claimed to be the fastest firing aircraft cannon.

I think you meant to say that it was the fastest-firing single-barrel aircraft cannon. There are of course several multi-barrel cannon which fire faster than the Nexter 30M791, which hits 2,500 rpm max.

How about the :23x260 Richter R-23 aircraft cannon ?

The Rikhter R-23 was equally fast-firing, but as it was only used on a few Tu-22 B and K models of the 1960s I presume that it is now out of service, so it would be narrowly accurate to say that the 30M791 [b]is /b the fastest-firing single-barrel aircraft cannon…

I think that is correct. The R23 was the least efficient design which I have ever seen the Soviets field. There must have been some heavy politics in that. Unnecessarily fast firing and requiring cartridge cases far too heavy for aircraft use.

The satellite version was the only one which made any sense.

And not to forget that the Rikhter was a byproduct of the development of the MG 213. So both guns, the French and the Russian have their roots in Germany.

Do you know of German ammo with such cases?

The R-23 was far more distantly related to the MG 213C than is the 30M791 (or any other revolver cannon, come to that) because of the backwards-loading system. There was a US cannon which used a similar system, but it never got past the experimental stage.

To which gun do you refer ?

The T168 series, as described on pages 411-414 of Chinn Vol 5.

These were also front-loading revolvers, and used an equally bizarre cartridge: in this instance, it had a tiny little rebated rim.

Edit to add: the current Mauser RMK 30 recoilless cannon is also a front-loading revolver, although in this case with combustible cases and recoilless as well.

Right

Mauser has the patent for front loading revolver guns. The German cases were not particular conical to aid feeding they had a cylindrical head.

For the patent check :
Die Entwicklung der Mauser-Flugzeugbordwaffe MG/MK 213 C by Walter Schmid

One of the developments for finding a new gun which became the MG213 was the front loading revolver cannon. I did not say it is directly related to the R-23 but that both guns, the R-23 and the French Giat go back to German developments. Check the patents in the book mentioned above.

Mauser has the patent for front loading revolver guns. The German cases were not particular conical to aid feeding they had a cylindrical head.

For the patent check :
Die Entwicklung der Mauser-Flugzeugbordwaffe MG/MK 213 C by Walter Schmid[/quote]

Do you have images of these shells ?

Yes, they are in Lippert’s set of drawings (book) on German aircraft gun ammo (the best thing on the subject).
The rounds were in 30mm calibre. I will look it up and post it then.

Not familiar with that title.

It is not sold in shops or printed officially. The autor was making copies of the book on demand, It is a long time since he did last.

For the patent check :
Die Entwicklung der Mauser-Flugzeugbordwaffe MG/MK 213 C by Walter Schmid[/quote]

Do you have images of these shells ?[/quote]

Finally found it:

Excellent-thank you. Do you have info about the loading system and gun ?

Unfortunately not, only the patent drawings of Mauser in the book I mentioned. Info on the real hardware is hard to find (if not impossible).