French 7.5x58 M1924

Can anyone provide me with the bullet weight and muzzle velocity for this precursor to the 7.5x54?

Thanks for any help.

[quote=“Tony Williams”]Can anyone provide me with the bullet weight and muzzle velocity for this precursor to the 7.5x54?

Thanks for any help.[/quote]

The bullet is grooveless and weights about 9 grammes
JP

I thought, and please correct me, that there were probably several bullets for different purposes. Balle was 139 grains and Maginot line machine guns fired a 190 grain bullet. Velocities were respectively approximately 2800fps and 2600 fps.

The bullet weight is : 9 grammes
It is an ordinary bullet.

Other loadings are dummy (blackened steel monobloc case and bullet) and blanks (either natural wooden bullet or blue wooden bullet).
No other loading (heavy bullet, tracer, armor piercing) was in use in the French army.

JP

Hi,

According to Jean Huon, Military Rifle & Machine Gun Cartridges, the 7.5x58 was a spitzer bullet of 9 grams and was 27.3 mm. Total cartridge weight was 24 grams. The bullet core was made of lead alloy with 3% antimony. The jacket is either cupro-nickel clad steel or plain cupro-nickel.

There was a blank M 1924 wither either a natural or blue colored wood bullet and a dummy made of solid parkerized steel and fluted body.

The uses were for various MAS experimental semi-auto rifles and the Chatellerault light machine gun.

Heavyiron

PS. JP - Thank you the first sentence was in error and should have been deleted. I notice I also made a spelling error which has been corrected.

Hi Heavyiron,
I don’t understand your sentence: “I assume you are meaning the 7.5x58 Model 1924 as stated in the subject and 7.5x54 as stated in the text”

We are talking about 7.5 x 58 Mle 1924 (like in the name of the topic), and like in the Tony sentence ( precursor of the 7.5x54) aren’t we ??

Huon says : “The jacket is either cupro-nickel clad steel or plain cupro-nickel”.
In my files I only have: “maillechort” plated steel jacket. But I am perhaps not up to date !

(maillechort is nickel silver I think, but I am not sure of the translation)
JP

JP,

I believe maillechort is an alloy made from copper, nickel, and zinc. I think it is known generically as German silver but isn’t silver at all.

Heavyiron

[quote=“heavyiron”]JP,

I believe maillechort is an alloy made from copper, nickel, and zinc.

Heavyiron[/quote]
Yes .
What is the right name in english? Nickel silver ?
JP

I think most people would refer to it as cupro-nickel. Cupro-nickel is an alloy of 75% copper and 25% nickel. The cupro-nickel alloys have a chrome appearance. The maillechort has some zinc in it whereas the cupro-nickel may have some iron and or manganese in it.

Heavyiron

thank you!
jp

Oh dear (red face) I meant to type 7.5x58 in the text…

Edit to add: no, I was right the first time - I must not answer posts in the middle of the night while half-asleep…