French/Dutch 150 mm rocket/missile for nerve gas tests in Algeria

In 1958 the French Army, in cooperation with a Dutch governmental research institute, held some experiments with nerve gases in the Algerian Sahara Region.

The ammunition the French used were several 150 mm surface-to-surface rocket swith two engines (“projectiles autopropulsés par deux engines”). Maybe, just maybe the rockets were German ‘beutewaffen’. The rockets were of course modified in order to take warheads filled with nerve gases.

Can somebody please help me identifying these 2-engines 150 mm rockets?

Do you have images or some document?

I do not recall a German 2-stage 150mm rocket motor.

I did come across this
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=iGzsCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA130&lpg=PA130&dq=french+nerve+agent+tests+algeria&source=bl&ots=J96_X_-tlJ&sig=ACfU3U1O6saefd2ibX4rAe4RNFgNhbG4yg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjjuOfT_K7oAhUlQUEAHZFjDYQQ6AEwAHoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=french%20nerve%20agent%20tests%20algeria&f=false
Chapter 6 describes some of the Dutch work with France

1989rjb, thanks!

Interesting the Dutch played a role in all this.

Maybe USSubs can shed more light on the rocket itself as well as on the Dutch connection.

I don’t have any hard information on French nerve agent testing, though their activities in Algeria were fairly well known. Understandably the French did not volunteer any information. Many countries were fairly reticent in describing their “colonial” activities, most simply stating, like the UK, that they had activities in multiple locations, if any country finds anything simply let us know and we will work with you for the proper disposal.
Likewise I have not heard of the Dutch working with the French on any nerve agent testing, though the Dutch had their own CW program for a number of years, with several weapon designs. I never saw any that were actually built, but the Dutch did return to Indonesia, I believe in 1979, to destroy the last of their WWII mustard gas stocks (40-50 tons). If memory serves me it was called “Operation Obong”.

I would further state that I don’t know of a two stage or twin 15cm rocket either. It would seem much more likely that they would simply take stocks of the Nebelwerfer. No modification necessary, and they were state of the art at the time. The UK did the same, taking 70,000 German chemical bombs home with them at the end of the war as stockpile. The Russians took the entire factories, in the storage area of the Artillery museum in St. Petersburg you can see exact copies and exotic variations of the Nebelwerfer, all with Soviet stamped markings.

Jeff, as you sure know the US also took large stocks of German chemical bombs and disposed of them not even that long ago.

Seems I might have heard something about that…

Thank you all for this very good information!
Sorry for my late reply. I made the text of my question many years ago. Now I am sitting in my Home Office (compulsorily hurting my back), and I found my old text while looking to the many documents on my laptop. So I posted it, but unfortunately I couldn’t find the official French-Belgian-Dutch report that I have somewhere in my ‘old paper collection’. However now I found it!

The report is a small 12 page report from 1960, classified as Secret. (Problem is, that my French s@cks.)
Here are some pictures of the report and of the text that is about the ordnance used. The testing ground was in Beni-Ounif, Algeria.

Maybe the specifications of the missile/rocket can help in identifying.

1 Like

About the specifications of the 150mm autopropulsive projectile written in the report:
-projectile: total weight 15,75kg, containing 4kg toxic substance and an explosive charge of 0,96kg (mostly) nitroguanidine
-propulsive element: total weight 10,8kg, charged with 0,8kg powder (not specified which)
=total weight: 26,55kg.

Maybe this can help further identification.
Also interesting to see that the Belgian Army was also involved in some way!?