French fuze setter or what is it?

This odd photo is showing an electrically powered device being used on a French 155mm projectile (by German troops obviously using captured material).
Titled as “arming the fuze” (by an amateur).
I have never heard of such a device and also fuze which would be electrically setable or armable (obviously by induction).
Is this a fuze setter at all or maybe some other device?
Very confusing.

Source: recent E-Bay sale
155mm_unknown%20device_French%20ammunition%20in%20German%20service

Alex, this is an interesting photo. It looks like they are doing some kind of inspection. The only thing I can think of is perhaps they are doing a magnetic particle inspection (looking for cracks). But I’m not sure if cracks were a significant issue for French 155mm (or any other artillery shells).

It seems very unlikely that it could be used to arm or manipulate a fuze. It would make one wonder why the ring is so large compared to the nose fuze (apparently it was made to fit closely around the 155mm shell body). And for anything inside the steel shell body, the magnetic field would be shielded from reaching internal components like a base fuze.

No idea what the photo is showing, but there are modern-day induction set fuzes (STANAG 4369)

Ole

Ole, no question about modern ones which are using many different systems these days (inductive setting, electric setting, radio controlled, VT/prox, laser, GPS).

Larry, the thing here is that the projectile has the fuze below the separate cap and is located just slightly higer than the device is positioned in the image.
Here a diagram from Belot’s book on French artillery projectiles:

Probably not correct but take a look anyway-

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/23025-Clock-stopper

" first magnetic clockstopper
The Horse Colar was placed over the (17) clockwork fuze , it was connected to a supply of batteries and switched on .the electric field created by the coil was enough to stop the clock"

Brian