French M1 Carbine Ammo?

Did the French ever make any non-corrosive, Boxer-primed, .30 M1 Carbine ammo?

Not to my knowledge.
Gregg

Jon, just curious, why do you ask?

A poster in another locale said the French made non-corrosive Boxer ammo and I disagree. Want to see if I’m right or wrong.

I have only one Aluminium cased round from Valence (VE 3 C 49) which is certainly Berdanprimed and not “rostfrei”…, than I have in brass case SF 1-61 I 7.62 and VE 4-60 N 7.62. As they are loaded, I have to pull the bullet, to check primerversion…I believe, that this primers where non-corrosive at this time…
Forensic

Certainly, MOST French carbine ammunition is corrosive-primed, an incredibly bad choice with the captive short-stroke pistol of the primary weapon for this caliber. The staking should never be broken free for any reason other than to replace a worn, broken or otherwise defective piston; never for simply cleaning the gas expansion chamber behind it or the piston itself.

The French carbine ammo was really poor. A lot of good carbine barrels owned by civilians were ruined with it, as when it was first sold, people assumed it was non-corrosive. In different ways, it was none-the-less as bad as the Dominican Republic ammunition of the same caliber.

I have never heard of any non-corrosive or boxer-primed carbine from France, but don’t pretend to be expert enough to say there NEVER was any. Maybe some of the commercial loadings were, of which there were a few. I just don’t know.

What was the problem with the Dominican .30 Carbine ammo? Some years ago, I fired a couple of boxes of it with no problems. I assumed it was non-corrosive, but it could have been corrosive primed. I always clean bores thoroughly ASAP after firing, so if it was corrosive primed, it caused no problems then or later.

I’m relying only on my memory, but I seem to remember having some French-headstamped .30 Carbine with Boxer primers. I can’t say for sure however as the evidence is long gone. Why would the French ever have used corrosive primers in Carbine ammunition?

Why did the French make corrosive carbine ammunition? Who knows? Mystery of the ages.

The Dominican Republic ammunition, aside from being poor in accuracy even for the .30 Carbine,
had very uneven pressures. We sold some when it first came out and one round blew the front right corner of the bolt off of a customer’s Carbine, bending also the operating slide. Pressure signs were dramatic. We stopped selling it immediately, and arranged for its destruction.

Judging from stuff I read in magazines at the time, and on the web many times since, we were not the only ones who experienced this kind of performance from it. I don’t recall if it was found to be corrosive or not - the blow up was enough for us.