French Mac-Match MG 7.7 round?

I’m looking for an image of the 7.7 round used in the French Mac-Match MG. All I know is that is similar to the .303 British round. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Patrick

After various experiments during WW I to adapt the Balle “D” 8mm Lebel cartridge to Aircraft use with Hotchkiss, Chauchat experimentals, and other MGs, the French saw that the Lewis Gun was the ideal, and in .303 cartridge.

Initially the French used BSA-made Lewis Guns, then by 1917-8, the Darne company was trying out very high rate of fire guns, chambered in 7,7mm cartridges ( aka, .303 British). French ammo factories were well into production of Nitro loaded .303 ammo by 1918, and the calibre remained the preferred Air MG calibre into the 1930s, for the French Airforce.
Only with the arrival of suitable designs with the 7,5 M24/29cartridge did change start to seep in…MAC M31 and variants for Air use.

As to the “MAC match 7,7”, one would have to research the French Archives De L’Armement, held at the old MAC facility at Chatellerault.

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

[quote=“pilot06”]I’m looking for an image of the 7.7 round used in the French Mac-Match MG. All I know is that is similar to the .303 British round. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Patrick[/quote]

Patrick
I am by far not an expert on the subject, but it maybe a Mk 7 .303
link below;
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_machine_gun

if not I would also like to see one, never heard of the 7.7 French, nice to hear of a old item from the past not in all my books.
Thank you,
Dave Call
A Call to Arms, LLC at ammo-one.com/

[quote=“pilot06”]I’m looking for an image of the 7.7 round used in the French Mac-Match MG. All I know is that is similar to the .303 British round. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Patrick[/quote]

Patrick,

There was a special .303" (7.7x56R) round made in France for the Darne MG. It had a special deep cannelure round the bullet and a corresponding heavy crimp to the mouth of the case. I believe that this modification was to prevent the bullet being pushed into the case by the gun feed. The Darne pushed the rounds back out of the steel belt links by pressure on the tip of the bullet whereas most MG’s pull them out by the rim of the case.

gravelbelly

How many calibers was the Darne MG made in? I have a 7.9 x 57mm round headstamped for the Darne (M S.f.M D GG).

Patrick[/quote]

The French 7.7 round is a regular 303.
I know they were used in Bren, Vickers and Lewis MG.

Using them in a Mac, I have no idea.
What I know is the fact the MAC Mle 34 was using 7.5 Mas .

The different French 303 are :
Ordinary bullet :

• maillechort bullet (no groove) before WWII
  • copper bullet (with groove) after WWII
    Armor piercing bullet : blackened bullet (with groove)
    Armor piercing Tracer : copper bullet (with groove)
    Incendiary Tracer : CN bullet (with groove)
    Blank :
  • pointed natural wooden bullet before WWII
  • round nose natural wooden bullet after WWII

jp

Thank you to all who replied to my queery. Please forgive the mistaken calibre. I looked in my files and found the correct info. The MG is the Mac-Match M-52-270 7.5mm. My understanding is that the French Air Force used this MG on the North American T-6 aircraft in Algiers in the 1950’s.

Sorry for the confusion. I am looking for the 7.5mm round not the 7.7mm.

Regards,

Patrick