FRENCH-maybe DANISH AntiTank magic

There is an oft repeated story that the German taper bore guns were developed from a French program based upon a Danish companies work. The Danish gun and possibly the French one as well ,if they are not the same gun, was called : 29 - 20 French APX A.T. gun or the LARSEN 29 - 20 . Has anyone actually seen any of these guns or the ammunition ? No doubt Germany mined a treasure trove of ordnance in France . I have quite a collection of items which were recovered from Hillersleben PG which have French labels.

Often repeated and often wrong. Not France to Germany but the opposite way. In short:
Gerlich lived in Denmark the years before he died (before in Germany, the US and England). He was working from there and Schulz&Larsen in Otterup (where Gerlich lived) did the weapons and test stuff he ordered. Part of the projectiles was even made by Polte in Germany and delivered to Denmark. After he died his widow sold the whole research, samples, drawings etc. to France.
The so called Schulz&Larsen 29/20 (later also tested in France) had exactly the same projectile diameters as the German 28/20.

Not long ago there was an article on all this with photos of Gerlich’s experimental projectiles of which some remained in Denmark and also excerpts from his patents in the German ECRA bulletin.

How do I get a copy in English ?

The previous story goes that the French 25mm AT gun case was the basis of developmet of the 28-20. It seen to me that the German 37mm AT gun case could have been used. Thank you for your usual ready perspective.

You may look up the English ECRA bulletin which get the articles translated for their publication. Some of our members from England must have it. It is from 2010 if I recall it right.

Perspective comes from weeks of research on these, Russian and Ukrainian squeeze bores.

Extant photos of the Larsen ammo ?

The one which looks like the so called S&L projectile is shown as several other calibers and designs (some which look like German).

You may consider to become an ECRA member otherwise you are missing quite a bit of the research done on the other side of the pond. The IAA is great but not the only one.

Thanks but I am too old to get into anything new. I was a member for years but the publications got lost in the mail too often. I am a life member of the IAA but not a supporter any longer.

[quote=“EOD”]The one which looks like the so called S&L projectile is shown as several other calibers and designs (some which look like German).

You may consider to become an ECRA member otherwise you are missing quite a bit of the research done on the other side of the pond. The IAA is great but not the only one.[/quote]

I am on the trail of a translation of this article. Can you cite the issue or date ?

[quote=“DrSchmittCSAEOD”][quote=“EOD”]The one which looks like the so called S&L projectile is shown as several other calibers and designs (some which look like German).

You may consider to become an ECRA member otherwise you are missing quite a bit of the research done on the other side of the pond. The IAA is great but not the only one.[/quote]

I am on the trail of a translation of this article. Can you cite the issue or date ?[/quote]

Alexander Diehl of Germany posted his article “Gerlich in Denmark” in the English edition of the ECRA “The Cartridge Researcher”, issue number 543, July 2010, article ref: 543-15.

He shows a photograph of eight projectiles, from 39.6/27.5mm down to 10.7/7.15mm calibres, plus some drawings.

gravelbelly

Many thanks.

I received a copy of the article from Woodin Lab. Interesting projectiles but nothing about the case type(s). Bill says a German collector has a Danish case. Any photos ?