French's Pattern 0,303" drill round

I’ve had this on my desk for a while and in the spirit of tidying up I was about to drop it into my duplicates box … then I noticed that it has three short flutes, is slightly longer than my unfluted French’s Pattern round and has an open tip to the ‘bullet’

Is it unusual or haven’t I noticed all the other fluted ones out there?

Happy collecting, Peter

Peter,

I have a few of the un-fluted TF&S dummies which were used in the factory to test machine gun belts and links. None of mine have an open tip to the “bullet”. Your fluted specimen(s) appear to be intended for issue to troops.

So, to me, this fluted one is unusual. When you get tired of playing with it I know of a good home for it.

gravelbelly

It seems that although the majority of the Thomas French drill rounds made by Kynoch were of the “normal” type a number of variations exist. I have seen the fluted type before, although I do not have one, and there are even chromed ones.

I have another variation as well, where the base is open and filled with a wooden plug.

Both you Mr.B and Mr.M are scrap metal collectors. Any interesting variations belong with a real .303 collector!

Regards
TonyE

[quote=“TonyE”]It seems that although the majority of the Thomas French drill rounds made by Kynoch were of the “normal” type a number of variations exist. I have seen the fluted type before, although I do not have one, and there are even chromed ones.

I have another variation as well, where the base is open and filled with a wooden plug.

Both you Mr.B and Mr.M are scrap metal collectors. Any interesting variations belong with a real .303 collector!

Regards
TonyE[/quote]

Tony,

Many thanks for that, I thought you’d come up trumps. To think I nearly cast this into the outer darkness that is my duplicates box.

How right you are, I do have a penchant for scrap metal and other such rubbidge. I only started collecting drill and dummy cartridges to stop the disappointment of leaving meeting empty handed. New scrap metal is getting hard to find and of such things as this cartridge are slippery slopes made!

Peter

Here is the picture of my “other” type. It is a bit battered as it has obviously been in a weapon jam. It has the hollow point of your one, but on closer inspection I think the filling is some kind of ebonite or other hard plastic, as the filling is visible at the top through the hollow point.

Regards
TonyE