From Russia with love

Part of an early 1970’s line-up of CCCP shell casings that made their way towards the US Army E.O.D.C. as part of an on-going Soviet and US foreign technology exchange program. They were obtained by various means including theft and purchase from third parties. It was a responsibility of the US Army E.O.D.C. to stay up to date on enemy ordnance technology. One of the 105mm’s in this collection (though not pictured here) identifies that 105’s produced at a Russian arsenal in early 1971 had already become spent shell casings of the North Vietnamese Army within two months time. The M-46 cartridge for US heavy tanks was left in the photos for comparison.

DSC_0046%20(1) DSC_0045%20(1) DSC_0035

2 Likes

EODC, very interesting to see the one with Hebrew markings, it should have been Israeli captured material.
The one with English markings on the side are export or later remarked ones but hard to say who actually made it by using Soviet cases or remarking Soviet rounds.

Calibers from l. to r.:
100mm, 85mm, 100mm, likely 122mm (tank gun)

1 Like

I was told that evaluation and testing of the Soviet rounds was very thorough. You can see that the 85mm still has the paper liner, which may mean it was taken apart. My father in addition to his other jobs, served as Chief, Foreign Technology Procurement Office, but I never knew it. He did a thorough job of shredding and burning everything work-related. The Russian shells, because of their heavy gauge quality brass, made good fuel and water tanks for his antique flywheel gas engines. The English language markings MAY be declassified encrypted data from their evaluation. It appears that tinning fluid (hydrochloric acid) was used to either erase data or to make visible data that was already erased. None of the ones he cut up to make fuel tanks had the acid splotches or stenciling on them. Apparently they don’t polish very well.

Hard to tell what was done why.

The 85mm with the waxed paper (phlegmatizer) was definately disassembled and not fired.
The light brass in the area of the cyrillic side markings are the result of a clear laquer coat which was applied after the black lattering was put on (to preserve the markings). This way this area was protected agains corrosion and “dulling”. A common thing on Soviet rounds.

The rough surface is likely the result of sand blasting.

Seems your father had a very interesting job!

As you’re well aware by now, I know absolutely nothing about these things… except that they are of interest to some people. Glad to share though. Mechanical engineering was my dad’s only real career. He started out in wartime as an Air Tech Intelligence engineer, then onto rocket and missile engineering with Reaction Motors and NARTS, then onto being an ordnance engineer and finally settling in as civilian director of the US Army E.O.D.C. (which included being co-director of the short-lived joint US Army/FBI National Bomb Data Center.) These other titles they assigned to him were probably for budget purposes, although his job did require him to have the highest level of clearance and to participate in “above top secret” briefings once held in the ‘Cave’ at Picatinny Arsenal. At the time of his death, only his knowledge on anti-satellite missile technology put him at risk of being abducted by Russia should he have traveled abroad. Here’s a photo of him with his(?) M338 Davy Crockett.

2 Likes

If you can post good pics of the Hebrew side and base I can translate for you.

And again, I wish I could see what he had seen.

Got a better one of the side here, and I sharpened up one of the base, but I’m not sure which way is up…

1 Like

It’s a very interesting to hear about your fathers job. Thanks for sharing.

Translation:
On the side it says “Preferred Use”. Could be interpreted as “Use First”.
On the base:
100 MM
AP / Incendiary / Tracer
I can’t really make out the Lot # along the bottom.

Jon, is that maybe better legible now? Just a try.

Can’t make out the 3 letters on the left.

Maybe a better photo?