From the worlds largest naval ammunition depot

5"/54 caliber shell casing. This is the first promotional that I’ve seen stenciled on an artillery casing. Collector input on this and the other shells I’m uploading to the forum is welcome, as they are part of a collection belonging to my late mother’s estate that is being divided between heirs and though I myself am not a collector, I strongly believe that the shells belong with collecting interest. It is my intent to make my share of this collection available to collecting interest (as was recently done with several early pre-WW1 Armstrong fuzes and a 1939 nickel-plated 8.8cm German Flak shell.)DSC_0050%20(1) DSC_0052%20(1) DSC_0049%20(1) DSC_0051%20(1)

1 Like

What is the name of the world’s largest Naval ammunition depot?

2 Likes

Isn’t it Hastings or something like that. I had never heard of it until I searched it. Love your photo, but does the Army also stamp their shells with TM logos and promos? I hope that’s not Hawthorne New Jersey…

The case body is marked with Hawthorne’s symbol (NAD HAW).

Hawthorne is in Nevada & is where every thing was moved to after the explosion at Picatinny.

Out in the middle of nowhere.

NAD HAW (Naval Ammo Depot, Hawthorne.) Thank you. So it is the Navy’s Ammo Depot also. How about that!

I’m sure i’ve seen similar statements on inert APHE 5" Zuni warheads, except the depot was McAllester?.

What ever happened to the Naval Weapons Support Center in Crane Indiana? They were at one time the last supplier of 16 inch shells the battleships of the U.S. Navy used.

1 Like

NSWC-Crane is still there. And it is an enormous facility, although I can’t say where it ranks among the world’s largest ammunition depots. It’s about 45 mi. SW of Bloomington IN.

1 Like

My wife as a child used to spend a couple of weeks each summer visiting her Aunt in Babbitt, which was the housing for base personnel for the Hawthorne Naval Ammunition Depot as it was called back in the forties (or before) and up to about the 80s or so. Besides her Uncle who worked there his whole career, she had two cousins who served as civilan perimeter guards. When I met these ladies, I was convinced they would shoot first and ask questions later. Both carried Colts slung low on their hip plus whatever arms they carried on duty.

My brother-in-law lived in Fallon during the Vietnam action and drove about 90 miles each way to work there loading bombs with liquid TNT in an underground facility. I think he mentioned some facilities were 7 stories underground. He would stop at some Indian Reservation and pick up three other riders who also worked there. Lots of safety regulations to avoid sparks were in effect but sadly there still were many people killed from accidents during that time. I think I remember that the area loading grenades or bomblets was a problem area but not sure.

I still remember driving in the area during sundown and the low sun angle allowed the miles and miles of storage bunkers to be seen. It was a sight like few others. Living in Reno, Nevada during the early years of Vietnam, I remember the hundreds of trucks rolling through town daily with class B explosives tags coming from Hawthorne. I believe a lot of commercial companies use the storage area today in addition to the hugh military storage. I haven’t been back for many years and hope to return to visit the museum.

1 Like