Frontier .30-06

Recently re-discovered these in a cleaning spurt of what my wife has labeled my “POWDER ROOM”. When I first got them, I was going to use them for shooter ammo, but when I opened the box, had to do a double take and read the back. My question would be when these round were “manufactured” and when did Frontier finally start making their own, (albeit with Winchester brass), ammo. Oh, by the way, answering a question from one of the threads last week about headstamp bunters and their re-use by grinding off their previous year to fulfill a double digit year (i.e., FC 54 to FC 5 to denote “55”), you can note that there is a L C 6 6 in the fourth row back, second from the left. Don’t know if FC did this also. Thanks, Bruce.

I think the only two years they used the ground bunters was in 1944 (“43” bunters ground to a single “4”) and 1955 (“54” bunter ground to a single “5”). I have not personally seen any other years on ammunition of any caliber.

Interesting, I have a 30-06 with a Frontier 30-06 Sprg on the head stamp. Vic

Frontier is a common headstamp on ammunition made by Hornady, and until recently, was used much more than the 'Hornady" headstamp. I think it started out as just reloaded ammunition, but they started making new ammo headstamp “Frontier” and eventually dropped the reloads. I am not sure whether or not any of the Hornady ammo still has the Frontier headstamp or not.

When–I bought mine while in college in 1970-1971. Mostly LC53 headstamped. I still have the LC53 cases but not the boxes. Do your boxes have lot numbers?

According to Punnett’s book, Hornady loaded .30-06 using once fired military brass from the mid-1960’s until 1971 when they began using new brass manufactured by Federal.

AKMS

“dArtagnan
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Re: Frontier .30-06
When–I bought mine while in college in 1970-1971. Mostly LC53 headstamped. I still have the LC53 cases but not the boxes. Do your boxes have lot numbers?”

I’ll have to get back to you on that. Went back to work and they’re at home. From what I remember, though, they didn’t have lot numbers. Bruce.