Fun project..correct 75mm rounds/tubes for WWII locally made caisson

A local Wisconsin company (Ariens Corp…known for snowblowers and lawnmowers) made “caissons” during WWII to air drop 75 mm shells to the troops

They will be working on a section of the company museum dedicated to the Ariens Company involvement in the World War where it built caissons to be dropped from airplanes with ordinance for the troops.

They have one (not sure if wood or metal) (stay tuned) and they want to add it to and build a display for the museum.

caisson cart M48 projo

help me (and the IAA) look good :)

more info and clarification to follow

Pepper

2 Likes

Their example is wood

Your text is broken by the pictures and I’m a little confused, are you saying you are looking for a 75mm projectile (M48)?

My quest is what a WWII 75mm caisson would have likely carried

What the shell would look like…I seem to think the primarily loads were M48…I could be wrong

what would the correct period projectile and fuze look like?

any correct markings ?

same for the fiberboard tubes

Ultimately…I will seek an inert round or two…and tubes to help them make up a display

this look right for WWII ?

I know nothing about caissons and generally ignore the fiberboard tubes, but may be able to help a little on the projectile.
The projectile looks accurate, but the paint and markings are pretty crude. Better than I could do, but not what I would consider accurate. Paint and markings would depend on the date, pre-43 would be black on yellow, in 43 they went to yellow on OD. The specific markings are easily found in the pubs, TM 9-1900, 9-1904 etc. If no one has them immediately available I can pull them up this weekend.
Fuze would probably be an M48 or M51, should be steel with a light bronze type wash, frequently found bare. I can probably help you with an unmarked projo, but I don’t think I have any spare fuzes or cases.
Here is a general picture of some of the rounds and fuzes, excuse the quality but all that I have at work is general shelf-shots and pulling quality detail is not easy. The black projectiles are the standard inert trainers or the day, the yellow and OD are the HE rounds.

1 Like

1 Like

Well well. Figure “you guys” would come through. I wait to meet with the company to assess their scope of the project Thanks

Jeff. Seems three lengths of the case. Which do I seek? I understand this was for operations in Sicily

You need the 75mm Howitzer cartridge case

Unfortunately I cannot access my library at the moment so hopefully someone else can provide the exact case length needed.

Brian

Some reenactor type folks make replicas of the shipping tubes.
https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=272691

Here is a place that makes stencils for ordnance items
http://www.questmasters.us/Restoration_Supplies_WWII_US_Ordnance.html

1 Like

awesome John

Those resources are perfect…as long as I’m comfortable with the period accuracy for their company display (that’s why I want to lean on the likes of you and Jeff, et al)

(for all I know…they may be fine with “printed” replica’s :( )

I assume case size akin to this one ?

(yes I know this is a recoilless !!)

image003

Pepper - If you have access to a 3D printer, I am happy to create the files so that you can get the shells and fuses 3D printed. They would need to be painted and stencilled but if you are doing a number of them it may be a cheaper alternative. I would just need someone to find me the relevant drawings.

Pepper- These were apparently for the 75mm Pack Howitzer.
They use the M5A1 brass cases- 75 x 272mm rimmed, straight case.
post by bdgreen shows details.

Looks like this caisson came with 8 rounds in tubes. For display purposes I would recommend getting 8 tubes, and display all but one closed and sealed, and one opened with the cartridge out of it.

I would be happy to donate a brass case if you want one. Let me know.

I don’t have any spare projectiles, but maybe someone else has some, or you can print one, or get the replica listed by the eBay seller above- paint is not quite right but it is a good replica.
Stencils available from the questmasters site I provided above.

received these today

I need to eyeball how many tubes it might take…and if it matters as to how many it would hold if they can’t be visualized

as you might know the “box” held the wheels, handle, axial …of course you know…you saw the start of this thread!) so I need to visit and wrap my arms around what they desire

caisson 1 caisson 2

The questmasters site has quite a bit on two other metal caisson variations, including the metal M9A2
http://www.questmasters.us/M9A2_Paracaisson.html
It appears that each was a self contained unit, dropped in the configuration shown on some of the photos there, much like a bomb. The wheels and stuff were all packed inside, along with eight(?) rounds of ammunition. But, after the wheels etc, were removed there was enough room to carry 18(?) rounds of ammunition. Probably the thought was that some of the caissons would be damaged beyond repair when dropped, and the ammo could be carried in the ones which landed intact.

Pretty cool! I have several individual fuses but they are I believe for 105 projectiles as they came form Dad along with Inert 105 and a sectioned fuse. Don’t Know If ST Louis Arsenal ever made 75mm projectiles. I have among other things “Other” Fuse components No explosives all from inert display but have no idea what they are. Will try to take pics and see if i can Post them, Dad was the quintesential saver of anything, Impact of depression I guess.

Interesting reading the Quartermaster site. They say the paracaissons were constructed of two materials, in steel and aluminum. The 200 that the Ariens company made were clearly wood. (They have one example as in the photos I post and their documentation)

I say “interesting” that the site would not have known wood was used as well

**image **

My dummy in a tube is about 2"-3" too long to fit/rest in the parachest they have (or paracaisson)

(I see these refereed to a “75mm shell buggies” or parachest or T-9 paracaisson

I’m out of my league but the round and the recoilless case has a “tapered” neck

I think I seek a shorter “straight” cased 75mm

what is it’s correct designation name or numbers for what you guess I am seeking?

this was specifically for use in Sicily in 1943 if that is a clue