"FUZE BOMB" for butterfly bomb?

While sorting things I almost threw this out believing it was a door lock cylinder with a missing door knob. On closer examination I saw that the die-cast pot metal door lock was embossed “Fuze Bomb.” OK, then maybe it needs a propeller instead of a door knob. When the pot metal fuze body got a closer look I saw it was full of precision machined brass gears… and something else, maybe anti-disturbance? I tried to disassemble it but the set screws didn’t do the job. You can see the gears through the underside hole (see photo.) Looking on internet I see it’s similar looking to the WW2 German (SD2) 41 Butterfly Bomb Fuze.

You have the fuze for the US copy of the SD-2 which was the M83. The last US use of these I know of was in SEA.

I do not recall now if the US copied all 3 German fuzes which were:

• Impact (with selectable longer delay for aerial targets)
  • Time
  • Anti disturbance

Here a nice US military video on it:

If I do get it apart I should be able to identify the action from the illustrations in the photo. But since there’s no selector screws I’m guessing time or disturbance. I had never even heard of butterfly bombs before.

… meant “from the video”, not “from the photo.” John

Actually the square section (what could be thought to be for a spanner) below the arming spindle should indicate the exact model or type at least.

Be carefull with taking apart these, it could be damaged or upon opening parts could pop out you never will get back in (if you manage to find them on the floor after it happened).
So no good reason to disassemble it.

It’s blind. Probably same body for all. In the pics you can see that the faces of the square have no markings. There is a “4” on the side next to the bore for the spring that keeps tension on the ‘trigger’ for the cocked firing pin. Through the underside hole I can see enough of the internal works that identification should be possible by comparing the works to the video illustrations, something best done in the morning or afternoon. A few years ago I did lose a spring – a torsion spring that retains pressure against the spin block on a British No.119 Fuse (an inert specimen too, one without a bore hole to the detonator cup.) I looked for it recently because the No.119 is a nice looking brass fuse. But figuring out the ‘graze’ action will take more time.

No, not markings on that square will indicate something but the fact that this portion is shaped this way is indicating the model so people can tell apart anti-disturbance fuzes from other types. This is important with duds in the field.

To id the fuze by the clockwork may not be as easy as all of the variants had clockworks.

Here the US impact and “air-burst” fuze M129:

I think what you have is the time fuze along the later adopted M130.

And here some documents.

This is one variant of the anti-disturbance fuzes - maybe the M131. As you can see the “nut” on the fuze body is different.

The thing is that your fuze obviously is one of the experimental types.
The spelling “fuse” though is very antiquated for the time it was made.

More:

http://michaelhiske.de/Allierte/USA/USNBD/USA/BombsAndFuzesUS/Section03/Page207.htm

http://michaelhiske.de/Allierte/USA/OrdnancePamphlets/OP1664/Volume02/Part06/Chapter20/Section02/Section02_31.htm

Looks like the M130A1:

M130A1

Fede, due to the designation and the minor differences I think it is a pre adoption variant of the M130.

Alex, I’m not sure what you mean about its designation, but I don’t think it could be pre-M130 because its has the inspection hole adopted with the A1 variant.

Fede, the 4 lugs around the arming spindle are different. It might be an intermediate variant between the M130 and the M130A1. Actually we could need a diagram or photos of a M130 to compare.
And the adopted types we have seen have the markings applied differently.

Here a comparison I found.

Hdere the M129 with “full” markings. The one of EODC is missing the designation.

Image source: internet

Here you can see the M130 and its markings:

Nice photos! Thanks!
So we still need to fully ID the variant of EODC.

Fede, found these images of a M130 which appears to have the inspection hole too.

M130_USA

Alex, that’s a regular M130A1. I have never seen an example marked “A1”.

Fede, they seem to have existed, and even worse it has a different top arrangement with 2 lugs instead of 4.