Fuzes are ammunition

Does anyone have documents on this German fuze ?

This is a fuze for chemical shells. It never made it into service.

I was told that it was to detonate above deep snow.

The markings seem to indicate that it is a steel fuze but it is aluminum.

Above ground in general since the chemicals were wanted to go airborne, hardly done when detonated in ground. Also it says “Nb” for smoke, the designation used for chemical munitions.

The “St” for a fuze made of steel would follow the designation at the end not as a precursor. Noone designates a fuze by material as a “steel fuze for…”.
The “St” here stands for “Stößelzünder”. Means something like a “pushing rod type fuze”.
The whole fuze designation was “Stößelzünder für Feld-Haubitzgranate Nebel” = Pushing rod type fuze for howitzer smoke shell.
Supposedly for use with 150mm shells.

What ever it is, it is WAY COOL! A design that I have never seen before. Talk about a specimen, wow! It is even sectioned. Very Nice!

Jason
PS: EOD, I am always blown away by your knowledge (Pun Intended)

And, by the cool stuff that CSAEOD comes up with!

Thanks to all. I am still looking for documents if any exist.Here is another photo. This one is from a museum in Germany. These are the only 2 which I have ever seen even in photos. It was explained to me that they were designed for the smoke or other shell fill to detonate above the snow pack. This was a HUGE problem in the Soviet Union. It was not enough of a problem to actually put this long fellow into service.

It definitely takes the prize for the most unusual design and outside the box thinking. Beyond cool. If I invented it I would call it the “Anteater” fuze as it looks a lot like the shape of an Anteater skull :-) Sucks that even photos are rare, it would be nice to see this installed on its correct projectile.

Jason

The projectiles are not rare but they are big and heavy. At my age I prefer to leave that stuff to you young guys.

Was this fired with the fuze cap left on top of the hammer ?

This is a fuze for large caliber projectiles wich had ballistic caps on. The nose probe here was to extend to the tip of the cap. No relation to your fuze above.

Obvious. I guess the answer to the question is yes.

Correct.

German WW1 Zep. bomb. Does anyone have a name for this fuze ?

Where is EOD when you need him ?

Not that I know anything about smoke shells or artillery fuses, it strikes me that for a longnecked fuze of this type to function as stated in snow, the projectile would have to descend nose-down at a relatively steep vertical angle. I don’t think artillery-fired shells usually do that. Maybe that’s why it was not put into service. But I would certainly have expected German ordnance engineers to consider that problem in shell design. Was it perhaps part of some kind of parachute smoke shell that falls nose-down?

Good thinking. Germany has a long history with these “hammer” shells. The “hammer” is usually inside a long ogive. They must work in that configuration as they made them for many calibers and for many years.

This Pinnocchio style fuze apparently didn’t work so well.

Can anyone ID this Zep. fuze?

Little to ID. There are no German documents from this time period (should say haven’t seen any so far). And all other documenst do not mention particular designations as none are given on the fuzes.
This is a fuze for the 10kg P&W aircraft bomb (not neccessarily Zeppelin) of which a whole series existed and several different fuzes were used with the different calibers.