G. Mischinger books = Questions

Today for Christmas I received Gerd Mischinger’s two books on the DDR ammunition factories. It will be a while before I can get my German language skills polished up enough to fully appreciate the information they contain. I’m impatient, so I have to ask a few questions!

It appears that the 7.62x39mm cartridges with Hirtenberg headstamps (HP)were actually made in the DDR by the “05” factory. Is this correct?

The 5.45x39mm hollow point cartridges headstamped as being made by “RWS” and sold under the RWS/Dynamit Nobel label were also made in the DDR?

In both books there is apparently no mention of the solid black plastic dummy/exercise cartridges. Were neither factory involved in the design or manufacture of these cartridges?

Thanks!

AKMS

AKMS,
About “HP” and “05” you understood correct

5.45x39 by RWS is not related to East Germany.

The black plastic dummies were made by “VEB Dr. Erani” and are not related to the plants in K

Thank you very much EOD. Do you know why RWS would make a lacquered steel case in 5.45 when all of their other products ( I assume ) use brass cases?

AKMS

That is a good question. Certainly not for technical reasons in relation to the weapons since PINDAD in Indonesia, VOSTOK in Uzbekistan and PPU in Yugoslavia made/make them with brass cases. So brass must work fine.

I wonder if the steel cases were requested by the customer.

AKMS and EOD,

please let me be more precise: Gerd writes this in his book, quote:

" According to assured facts the cartridge cases, if not the entire cartridge RWS .215 were made by Spreewerk L

AKMS
This are the solid black plastic dummy cartridges you mean!!

Hans, thank you for correction, I missed that.

[quote=“Hans”]AKMS and EOD,

please let me be more precise: Gerd writes this in his book, quote:

" According to assured facts the cartridge cases, if not the entire cartridge RWS .215 were made by Spreewerk L

Thank you Hans, Gyrojet and EOD!

I have always suspected that these “RWS .215” cartridges were entirely made by VEB SL…

AKMS