G9 bullets external hollow point

Looks like G9 bullets - makers of solid brass rifle bullets, are now going to manufacture loaded pistol ammo, and they are loading a custom lathe-turned solid copper bullet (because who isn’t these days) which they call the external hollow point / (EHP™). It is basically a solid copper version of the polycase “ARX” and Lehigh “Extreme Defender” combined, and is just another in the recent growing line of computer-designed cavitation fluid-disruption projectiles like the ARX, the Lehigh Extreme Defender, and the Lehigh cavitator - or the THV and Devel bullets of old.

On the G9 website they show a few calibers which will load this custom bullet, but only have real photos of the 9mm version. They also show a listing for the Full-Stop hollow point, which is an L-Tech & American Reserve Munitions produciton, so that is odd, unless they are buying the Fullstop bullet from L-Tech and loading their own branding of it in the same way which American Reserve is, which would rule out American Reserve having any kind of exclusivity on that projectile I guess.

Listed at 80gr and 1480 fps, this thing will be a potentially serious penetrator.

http://www.g9bullets.com/shop/

This type of bullet nose is usually used to achieve aerodynamic instability in order to reduce maximum range.
Anyone intending to use these bullets “in anger” should do thorough test firing regarding real world penetration and accuracy at the ranges desired.

Jochem, the “twist” of the dimples on short range bullets usually is countering the bullet rotation where the dimples do add to the deceleration of the bullet spin hence reducing the distance by causing an instable flight. At least this was my understanding so far.
I assume one will check here the “dimple twist” and then check with the bullet spin to see if it is pro or con to the rotation.

Just my thoughts.

Alex,
in my experience aerodynamic forces caused by the bullet nose are not sufficient to have any real effect on bullet spin. But they change the air flow around the bullet which may lead to instability, although spin would be still adequate. This effect is used for some reduced range rifle bullets.
It is difficult to tell whether this has any perceptible effect on short range handgun bullets. But it could and this caused my warning.

Jochem, that could well be. I never got deep into the turbulence effects as that woud require own equipment and testing etc.
All beyond my capabilities.

Now I wonder if these projs. could be considered AP as they are solid and come at a quite high Vo.
The nose shape may have only a cavitating effect then as loss of speed due to the possible turbulences may be secondary given the typical range pistol ammo is used at.

Again just thinking loud.

It would not be considered AP by the government since it is 100% copper, despite the posibility that it might be kevlar-defeating, given the shape, hardness, and relatively high velocity. Other rds like the Velocity Tactics stuff, the soild zinc bullets from Alchemist, and solid copper bullets from Lehigh avoid the same fate due to being softer than brass metals.

And here a 16 minute video of G9 testing the ammo and talking a lot about it. Firing the 9mm bullets into what else but… watermelons & pork shoulders.

An update to anyone following this thread, I have updated another thread regarding American Reserve Munitions,which appears to be the first manufacturer using these G9 EHP bullets (as manufactured for them by L-Tech Enterprises I presume):

I received some of this new version of Countrerstrike ammo from American Reserve today with the G9 Bullets “External Hollow Point”, and it does have a new headstamp. I think this is the first time I have seen the “+P” anywhere other than immediately after the “9mm” or “LUGER” on any sort of 9mm headstamp, so that’s different:

ARM hs

unnamed

In a recent order from American Reserve Munitions, a box of .380acp with the G9 “External Hollow Point” solid-copper bullet loaded on Starline brass, this one a 70gr as opposed to the black-oxide coated 80gr in the 9mm load.
https://americanreservemunitions.com/product/380auto-70gr-denfense-with-g9/
These are not branded for A.R.M. though, they have G9 packaging, which leads me to believe that the long stagnant www.G9bullets.com website will soon have a functioning checkout system I guess. The G9 website still does not process sales as of today, but I presume they will sometime in January for the new year. I don’t have any confirmation, but I presume that L-Tech in Kentucky is still the one assembling all of this sort of ammo for A.R.M., G9, and Maker as they have been doing over the past year with the Maker bullets, and now the G9 bullets?

Although it seems an obvious thing to us, or anyone well versed in ammo, I wonder if the packaging will create a problem wherein consumers will equate the “G9” box as automatically being 9mm. It sort of looks suggestive of being “Glock 9” or something like that to those who aren’t familiar.

I’m not sure where the name “External” comes into play, is there such a thing on other that the .577 Snider and some .303" where there is an intentional “Internal” hollow in the bullet point? Aren’t almost all hollow points by nature external? And on these the "point"s just a point not at all hollow.

forgive my rant, apparently just a marketing gimmick.

You’re right Pete, the name is not very technically correct, but just a marketing term. I believe they just mean that the wounding channel created by the bullet occurs due to the outside of the bullet, or that since it has a few scalloped portions on the outside of the bullet it is “external”, in so far as having no cavity.

Today I noticed that G9 is now marketing a Law Enforcement only version of their E.H.P., which I assume is just solid brass instead of solid copper. They don’t exactly say so on the website, but they show a video of one of the 9mm rds being fired through a windshield, and then through body armor that is taped over a watermelon (acting as a head). They don’t show the rd, but regardless of being solid brass or not, the original solid copper version should have the same rough ability though, albeit with an irrelevantly lower terminal penetration rating.

They list 4 projectiles, one each for 9x19, .40S&W, .45acp, and then one suited for both .380acp and .357sig:

Their implied test results and listed ballistics data shown for 9mm are right about the same as what the Fort Scott solid copper (civilian legal) 9mm rd is capable of, and I know those are $1.00 per rd retail. So I’d be curious to know what G9 wants per rd for these L.E.O. rds. Probably will never know, but I sent them an email anyway.

Greetings EOD…all this assuming a right hand twist. I wonder how different the dynamics would be with a left hand twist.

PPG, you are about a “drilling” effect?
Guess the forward movement and the twist will not fit each other to begin with.
But if trimmed to match (how ever that could be achieved) I’d too wonder what the effect would be.