Garland Automatic Gun Cartridge 1 Pdr, Mk II; 31mm , WRA Co., 1900

Garland automatic gun cartridge, inside diameter at case mouth is shown as 1.23 inches or 31mm. Below are images from a technical drawing by WRA Co. dated August 31, 1900. Drawing online: http://cdm17097.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/WRAC/id/8904/rec/43

Anyone know anything about this?

Brian

Check this out: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOMATIC-MACHINE-GUN-PATENT-GARLAND-NEW-HAVEN-CONNECTICUT-USA-1900-2/292990181061 may be worth buying for £10

I stumbled back across this because it seems Garland patented a horizontal pinfire cartridge 10 years prior to this (at least in Germany). And I bought a copy of that patent document.

Here are two other German patents by him for sale:

And the one I bought:

Here is a contemporary writeup about him. He was an employee of Winchester.

1 Like

Aaron,
there is no need for buying old German patents. These and many foreign patent documents can be downloaded at no charge as PDF files from the German patent office.

Aaron,

EXCELLENT information.

Now to try to download the patents as JP pointed out.

Thanks,

Brian

Here is the German 54842 patent:

54842.pdf (106.9 KB)

1 Like

I like having the original period documents, for displays and such. To me it is the same difference as owning a cartridge or a picture of a cartridge.

Now, hopefully this are not just reprints!?

1 Like

Of course, if your emphasis is on holding an original print of the patent in your hands, we are talking about very different perspectives. In short, you are also a collector of historic original documents. In my response, I looked at it from my view, which could be called limited to the information in the document. A PDF (of good quality) contains everything I am interested in.

A reprint (in the sense of printing with printers ink, not a computer job) of ordinary patent documents seems unlikely in my opinion.

Aaron,

Do you know if any Garland pinfire cartridges actually exist?

Brian

None that I have ever seen. Who knows though!

1 Like