GECADO Tradename date?

Whilst tidying up my Notes on G.C. Dornheim, I realised that I didn’t actually know the introduction date of their
GECADO Tradename (meaning : GEorge CArl DOrnheim),

I couldn’t find a definite reference for it until after WW1 (ie the1924 Catalog). A 1912 ad doesn’t use it and I couldn’t conclusively lower the date searching the internet - be wary that the term GECADO is often used synonymously with the company name “G.C.Dornheim AG” (even it appears before the tradename was established ?). Certainly GECADO was used after WW2 when G.C.Dornheim no longer existed and the Tradename had been purchased by others (Dianawerk-Mayer & Grammelspacher etc).

Remember also that after WW1 in 1924, the tradename SELKADO was used for the firm of Selve-Kronbiegel-Dornheim (SKD ) when it was established incorporating Braun & Bloem (Selve), Dreyse & Collenbusch (Kronbiegel) and the ex-Stahl factory (Dornheim) which was closed. G.C.Dornheim still existed separately after that date until WW2 and used GECADO.

Maybe someone with great references, catalogs etc (Fede ?) can pin this date down more accurately ??

1 Like

hello,

the gecado trademark is from 1908

the selkado trademark is from 1926

jp

1 Like

Well that’s fairly conclusive - thanks very much jeanpierre !

This person, George Carl Dornheim, was he German? Because in German it is Karl, I think. So was he an American, maybe?

Frank Wheeler (Gun Report) photo, note is taped to the photo but I not sure that it is correct.

1 Like

It is not George but Georg Carl Dornheim. At the time it was quite typical to write Carl with a C as in Carl Benz or Carl Bosch (the chemist of the Haber-Bosch process, not Robert Bosch the engineer).

1 Like

Thanks for pointing this out Jochem.

Almost every reference I know refers to him as “George” but the “DER MUNITIONS-VERBAND” shows him as “Georg” which makes more sense as a German name. I will update my notes.

WBD
Thanks for a nice piece of research,I was one of those that for the
greatest part of my collecting life connected GECADO with GECO
never realized that a whole Name was hidden behind it.This kind of
research is often more fascinating than the cartridge stamp in itself
Sherryl