Geco 7,65 round

Hi folks, we have recently moved to northern france and while clearing out kitchen cupboards, on top of one I found a geco 7,65 round. Theres no date stamp or any other identifier on it. Could it be ww2 german? Thanks-

To properly identify this round, a photo would be the best, both of the cartridge profile and the headstamp. Measurements are not needed if you know that it is, for sure, 7.65 x 17 mm Browning cartridge, called .32 ACP or .32 Auto in the USA. If photos are not possible, than a complete description is:

Bullet: Jacket Material. Is the bullet copper in color, or silver in color? Does the bullet take a magnet?

Cartridge case: Is the case brass or steel. If color doesn’t tell you, try a magnet on the head of the cartridge, where the headstamp markings are.

Primer: Is it plain or does it have an “O” impressed into the cup. If plain, is it brass, copper, or nickel?

Are there any colored seals at the case mouth or the primer? If so, what color are they?

Again, if you can post pictures, a picture of the cartridge in profile and a picture of the head of the cartridge with its headstamp would likely answer your question.

John Moss

I should have asked sooner due to my confusion, but, HOW do you tell if the primer is brass or copper?

Aside from chemical analysis, you can usually tell by the color of it. Not always, of course, as sometimes a badly tarnished brass primer can take on a copper tone to it. Basically, brass is much more “yellow” than is copper. Not very scientific, but it works in 90% of cases.

John Moss

Ah, so people with any level of colour blondnes need not attempt to apply… They all look the same to me.

Hi john thanks for your prompt response. Here are a couple of photos. As you can see both round and cartridge are brass.
Stupid question but how can I upload the photos I’ve taken please?

Kojak - I know how to post pictures, but I am not good at explaining it. I got a wonderful, easy to follow explanation from Brian, I hope he will chime in here with it. It is not difficult to do, but I’m afraid I would just confuse the explanation.

By the way, “round” and “cartridge” are synonymous. Both refer to a complete cartridge. I think you meant “bullet” and “cartridge” are both brass. If you could answer the four questions I asked, I could probably give you some idea of when your cartridge was made. It covers a long span of time, before, during and after WWII, but some of the characteristics changed over the years.

John Moss

At thw top of where you type in your response/question there is a bar with several symbols. The 7th from the left is a line with a up-pointing arrow, the “Upload” buttonUpload Button . Click on that to upload images to the post.

OR to upload = 1st use the “.JPG” format
then just click and drag & it will upload where the cursor is currently blinking in the text box.

Hi Kojak,
I look forward to your pictures. Also check with magnet to see if the primer is steel.
Dan