Gene Spicer has passed away

Yesterday morning Gene Spicer passed away in hospice care after fighting cancer for the past few years.

He was actively involved in the cartridge collecting community for many decades and had not missed a Chicago/St. Louis show since the very first one.

He first started collecting cartridges in the 1940s as a child. He mowed lawns to save up money to send away for various cartridges from mail order catalogs. His first cartridge was a Spencer cartridge and they remained a major focus of his collection for the rest of his life. His collecting specialty spread out from there to a major focus on cartridges from the American Civil War and earlier.

He was always more than willing to share his knowledge with anyone who would ask and encouraged many people into becoming collectors. At OGCA shows and Ohio Civil War shows he would often give away a few cartridges to kids—with their parent’s permission— to encourage their interested in the hobby.

I first met Gene at an Ohio Cartridge Show when I had just begun collecting. He invited me over to his house shortly after where he sold me one of my first pinfire cartridge boxes, a C.D. Leet one from the American Civil War, and his collection of pinfire cartridges. This really jumped started my interest in pinfire cartridges.

He and His wife, Janice, were always great friends to me and my family over the years and he will definitely be missed by many.

His obituary can be found here

4 Likes

Gene was a good friend and mentor.
I will miss the emails we sent back and forth.
RIP buddy.

Miss you Gene. RIP

RIP Gene .

I met Gene and Alvin Cox (Gene and I always called him Mr Cox) in 1967 when I was assigned in the Dayton Area. They took me to my first OGCA meeting in Columbus where I met Jim Tillinghast, John Scott and “Metric Mitch” Mitchel and many other serious collectors. It was my first Gun Show. They also introduced me to the Chicago Show. Mr Cox has been gone many years. It has always been a pleasure to see Gene and Janice in St Louis.

I will miss you my friend!

Lew

Gene was the first person I met at SLIC my very first time going. He became a good friend and I had the privilege of enjoying many a good conversation with him. My wife Jeanne and I always enjoyed sitting with the Ohio contingent at the banquet.

Our prayers go out to Janice and family.

You will be missed my friend, for good men are too few.

Pat Sheehan

EXTREME CONDOLENCES!

His memory will be a blessing to all who knew him. They say when a elderly person passes, it is like loosing an entire Library. So happy that he loved to share his wealth of knowledge with so many.

Sending all of his family and friends nonstop positive energy, vibes and prayers!

Jason

Condolences to the family. RIP Gene.

Condolences , very nice gentleman

My Deepest Sympathy