Gentlemen, new here

…and I have been asked by the wife of a deceased friend to try to get value and sell some old ammo, he was the kind of man that never said "no’ to someone with ammo.

The first item i have a question about is 6 rounds of 30-06 ammo headstamped

PETERS 30G1906

Well patinated no corrosion. Copper coated bullets with lead tips, obviously hunting rounds.

Any collector value or just shoot it?

The second item is a box of Winchester .22 WCF with 48 rounds and one case. original box missing part of the label. Quick photo…

I’m far from an expert on any of this but as a collector I always see some value in stuff that isn’t made anymore and often stuff that is. But the Peter’s ammo is doubtfully worth more than a $1 each and then if you find someone that really needs that particular round. I have several, different bullet weights, etc and I’d value them at $1 or less.

Condition is important, especially the label, to boxes and an awful big chunk is missing in yours.

For me, I’d only place a few dollars value on all you have described. But it may be something a particular collector would really like to have and, in my humble opinion, it would be cruel to throw them away. I’ve sold stuff for the price of shipping and felt good about it. Shooting or discarding old ammo seems such a waste.

You really don’t want to shoot corrosive ammo unless you’re desprate !!! , and that is corrosive !! Give it to a young interested shooter and start them on a lifelong addiction of collecting ammo.

Rob

Without a photo I can’t be positive, but there’s a good chance that the Peters cartridges are loaded with their Protected Point Bullet. That would give them some collector value beyond what the older 30-06 cartridges would have. Are you positive they are plain soft-points?

Even with the torn label, the 22 WCF box has collector value as well. Individual 22 WCF cartridges are not rare but any box of them is not common either.

You have not hit the lottery but there is some value in what you have. It’s simply a matter of finding the person or persons who would have an interest in them. Gun and Cartridge Shows give you that kind of exposure.

Ray

Rob–With that name, .22 Winchester Single Shot instead of .22 W.C.F., on the box, it makes it pre-1900. The cartridge was introduced in 1885. Even damaged, I would guess the box is worth somewhere in the $20.00 range, perhaps more. Gun Brokers would be the place to try to sell it. It is probably going to be worth more to a gun owner for display with his gun than to a cartridge collector.

Gentlemen, thank you for the advice. I know about labels and was disappointed to see such a chunk gone missing from that box. It’s unfortunate as the rest of the labels (sides and interior) are quite good.

khege, are you saying the Peter’s 30-06 rounds have corrosive primers or the .22WCF? When did corrosive primers get replaced with non corrosive? I received a partial box of Savage 30-30 I figured I’d just shoot but not if they’re corrosive.

I have sold before on Auction Arms, do the members here prefer GunBroker over AA?

Thanks very much for your help, as I said it’s for a friends widow so I’d like to do what I can for her. I have found some more things I need advice on, should I ask in this same thread or start a new one. 30.06 blanks in the box on stripper clips, a few other things.

regards,

Rob

Rob–To make it easier for future reference, seperate posts on each subject would be best.

As to non-corrosive primers, all the major commercial makers in the U.S. had switched over to them by 1930. Remington was the first with “Klean-Bore” in Nov. 1926. Most military, except for .30 Carbine, which was Non-Corrosive from the beginning, switched around 1953.