George Roth salute device

George Roth made two salute devices shells (Poller in German)

• one in 29 mm,
  • one in 25 mm (GR number 144)
  1. What is the GR number of the 20 mm one
  2. Has somebody info on these two shells (drawings, aso) ?

Thanks
JP

Jean- Pierre, I think these are the two you are after. I have the
larger down as being equivalent to a 1in GATLING and the smaller as a WAENZL-ALBINI.

I am looking for more info than these pictures. (internal diameter, external diameter, tim thickness, hstp and so on)

jp

Sorry I bothered - won’t make that mistake again !

The problem with George Roth catalogues is the fact they do not give a lot of details on the pictures.
When they say 20 or 25 mm I guess it is the internal diameter.

Because of that I would like to know somebody who has some specimen (or have the factory drawings)

JP

Am I gonna have to stop this car!!!

???
JP

Sorry JP

An American joke, if you please. When the kids are getting noisy in the back seat, that’s a common refrain to quiet them down. WBD’s attempt to help out with the picture appeared to have been slighted, and he took some offense. I’m thinking it’s a “lost in translation” moment, again. I’m sure you were not trying to belittle his efforts. I was just trying to lighten things up. I am always awed by your posts as they bring such arcane items to the table. Thanks for that.

Rick

OK, I understand better.
WBD has not to feel to be offensed, it was not my purpose.
I have the basic info on many ctges, and I am just trying to have more info, only that.

He has made two very good books, and with two consequences:

1. I am still collecting the European sporting ctges
  2. It gave me the idea to writte one on shotshells

jp

[quote=“slick rick”]Sorry JP

An American joke, if you please. When the kids are getting noisy in the back seat, that’s a common refrain to quiet them down. WBD’s attempt to help out with the picture appeared to have been slighted, and he took some offense. I’m thinking it’s a “lost in translation” moment, again. I’m sure you were not trying to belittle his efforts. I was just trying to lighten things up. I am always awed by your posts as they bring such arcane items to the table. Thanks for that.

Rick[/quote]

Not just American, me and my little brother had that said to us more than a few times when I was young.

Well,all that I can say is that sometimes it is difficult to me to explain what I have in my mind in a foreign language,so it is possible that my post look as written in a rude way

Coming back to the topic, I talked with some Autrian collectors.
I got no info on the 20 mm one, but some on the 25 mm one.

The 25 mm GR is for Poller which means "salute device"
Therefore it is not a Gatling ctge beacuse the thickness of the case is not enough.

As soon as you talk about Gatling, Nordenfeld, flare or shotshell in 25-26 mm we need to be very carefull.
You have less pressure in a flare than in a shotshell and a lot more than in a Gatling or Nordenfeld.

They look the same but the shape of the rim and of the base, the rim thickness, the case thickness and so on are different.
Measurements also are a little bite different.

JP

Y