Gerald Bull - real information

Some years ago a fellow who I knew from his work at APG was murdered in Brussels Belgium. The theory was that he was killed by Israeli secret service because he was helping Iraq develope weapons. The story at the time was that he was killed with a .22 - the signature of the Israeli Secret Service. A book which I just read states that he was killed with a 7.5mm bullet.

A good deal of “popular press” information is not true.

Does anyone know the facts about the murder weapon ?

Wow, super interesting thread. Very curious if anyone has detailed facts about this. Everything I know of this man came from you and a documentary that showed him building a super gun for saddam that shot projectiles super high, maybe into space? I remember the barrel was incredibly long and was bolted together in massive sections. I know a guy who is selling one of his projectiles with a pretty unique design shape. I was always surprised hearing that the Mossad or Israeli Secret Service preferred 22’s.

Jason

Here is a photo I took of a section of barrel at the Fort Nelson artillery museum. They have two sections there, which were siezed at UK customs before they were shipped to Iraq. This museum is definitely worth a visit if any forum members are ever around Portsmouth, UK. They have an excellent collection of artillery guns, which are stored indoors and therefore not rusting away.

Wasn’t Bull involved with SRC and later PRB of Belgium, developing the ERFB artillery projectiles? Btw one does not hear much about them anymore…
Soren

I would like to give a second vote for the museum. I read a report not long after the case was in the papers basically rubbishing the gun and saying they couldn’t see how it could have been effective. It would have to be mounted in a fixed position on some form of artificial hill and couldn’t have had proper elevation or windage adjustment. Also, once it started firing its position would have been revealed and it would have been knocked out by airstrikes in no time.

I think the idea (Saddam’s idea) was to have a few of these weapons built as leverage weapons, similar to nuclear weapons but without all the cost and technology. The idea being that if you had a few of these guns semi-hidden around Iraq with large high explosive shells packed with lots of radioactive dirty material, and if it were targeting, say, Jerusalem, Tel-Aviv, or Tehran, then Iraq would be able to leverage this for negotiating, or just plain bullying. “Attack us and we’ll dirty your capital with 100 years of deadly radioactive junk” sort of thing. Interestingly, this approach would kill relatively few with air bursts (although it would make many people sick), but cause massive economic chaos as the city would have to be abandoned. A target country like Israel would be left having to wonder if such an attack would justify the use of nukes as a response, which would obviously kill many people outright. I can see how Saddam would think this was a good idea since the weapon doesn’t even have to work, and he doesn’t even have to have the nuke material - just the threat of it existing, and some rudimentary intel pointing to it existing.

[quote=“mausernut”]Wasn’t Bull involved with SRC and later PRB of Belgium, developing the ERFB artillery projectiles? Btw one does not hear much about them anymore…
Soren[/quote]
Yes Jerry owned SRC in several incarnations. And yes he developed those advanced projectile designs.

He was sent to prison by the US for exporting artillery and technology to South Africa. Afterwards he got involved with Iraq in several ways which turned out badly.

He was a genius but like many of them had a bad case of Phd.-itis. That is where folks with that high degree in some subject think that they know everthing.

He knew little about politics and that got him killed.

There are many books about him and his exploits and all except this one which I just read say that he was killed with a .22.

This book, “BULL’S EYE”, is very interesting and worth reading but it does say that he was shot with a 7.5mm bullet.

Does anyone know from official information ?

These “guns” were not designed to fire on targets. They were designed to shoot payloads into space. Bull had already done this with the joint US-Canada HARP program . The program was killed due to developments in missile technology. He proved that it was possible to fire a payload into space using gun technology.

Iraq wanted to jump ahead into space technology and this was a way to try.

Here is an article from a Barbados news site showing a photo of a now abandoned gun that was test fired from Barbados.

http://barbadosfreepress.wordpress.com/2007/05/13/a-piece-of-barbados-history-dr-jerry-bulls-assassination-the-harp-gun-saddam-hussain-and-israeli-intelligence/

More photos of the abandoned Barbados site here:

http://bajans.com/src.htm

But would they be able to have hidden them, realistically? With modern satellite technology? Was it ever viable or just a very dangerous game he was playing? Typical Saddam though, he could have started WW3. Maybe thats what he wanted.

All prevented by a sharp eyed British Customs Officer, he was damn good. I would say I am pretty savvy on most things gun related but I don’t think I would have looked at those sections on the back of a truck and put 2+2 togeather. The cover story was they were for the oil industry. I think I would have been taken in.

You could say he saved the world, never heard a name mentioned, probably to protect him.

Any information on how the projectiles were looking?

The Paris gun and the Harp program book which was published some years ago in Germany has lots of photos of the various types of projectiles. The book is rare now. My copy which was signed by Bull to me was lost in the mail coming back from Europe. I have tried to buy the publication rights to this for years and would republish it but without success.

Intel. services knew about this long before it was acted upon. There was no thought of hiding the “guns” in Iraq. All knew that was not possible. Once the technology was delivered it no longer was a problem. The problem was getting the technology.

Iraq had a web of companies worldwide used to hide their intentions. Getting in bed with Bull was a real mistake as he was already on the watch list for anything he did. He was a convicted international weapons criminal. Intel. keeps a close watch on those folks. He made personal trips to Bagdad. Not a good idea if you are already being watched.

See that fat kid going into the candy store ? What do you think he is after ?

I will post some proj. photos if none turn up. I have had some of his shells in 5 and 8 inch in the past.

Please do not misunderstand this; Bull’s 2 stationary guns were designed to fire projectiles into space. He also designed OFFENSIVE guns for Iraq which were not produced but were in process when he was killed.

The book mentioned above (Bull’s Eye) states in another place that he was killed with a 7.65mm pistol of a type common to Belgian police.

He was shot 3 times in the back and twice in the back of the head. No gunfire was heard. Nothing was taken from his person.

[quote=“DrSchmittCSAEOD”]

[/quote]

Dear DrSchmittCSAEOD,
Where I could obtain this book and other bibliography of Gerald Bull ? Thanks in advance.

It is a very rare book. They will not republish nor sell the rights. Why ? No idea. There is plenty about Jerry Bull on the internet , more than you want.

I imported a lot of these books when they were published. They sold out and I have never been able to by more.

Bull’s son used to list 1 on ebay for a couple of hundred dollars but I have not seen that for a while.

Good luck !

There are 5 copies for sale on abebooks and amazon. Prices from $335 to 600+.

Here is the ISBN 3813203042

Some photos of possible interest.

warships1discussionboards.yuku.com/topic/12158

[quote=“DrSchmittCSAEOD”]It is a very rare book. They will not republish nor sell the rights. Why ? No idea. There is plenty about Jerry Bull on the internet , more than you want.

I imported a lot of these books when they were published. They sold out and I have never been able to by more.

Bull’s son used to list 1 on ebay for a couple of hundred dollars but I have not seen that for a while.

Good luck !

There are 5 copies for sale on abebooks and amazon. Prices from $335 to 600+.

Here is the ISBN 3813203042[/quote]

Thanks J.R. !!!, I know they are very rare and expensive, a time ago a friend of mine asked me if I could obtain any of Bull´s books or pubished investigations, it´s a pitty that such brain was murdered.

Here is a photo of a projectile being sold from a collector who told me it was a Gerald Bull design.

Jason
PS: He was asking $350 for it but I think it has sold?

I am negotiating with the Bull family through his son in an effort to obtain the copyright to the book and any remaining copies.