German 1935 artillery question

This is from a 1936 book called “Adolf Hitler”, it shows heavy artillery at a parade. The position of barrels on carriages looks artificial to me, there seems to be no recoil allowance in this configuration. Are these purely parade pieces with no field functionality (i.e. just the barrels for a show) or there is something special about them (i.e. recoiless)?

All is correct here. These guns are just so large that they can not be towed and are disassembled into smaller parts for road transport. Back in WWI+II a common thing and even some years after 1945 till technical development of aircrafts and nuclear weapons made such heavy guns obsolete.

Vlad

Things were not much different in the 1900s than they were in the 17th Century.

From the very beginning of artillery, cannons of heavy weight had to be dis-assembled for transportation and then re-assembled in position for firing. Most of the time it involved sheer man (or horse) power and a lot of lifting, rolling, dragging, and pushing. And cussing. The first wheeled carriages solved part of the problems but there still had to be ways developed to get the heavy barrels onto the carriages or on their fixed mounts. Equipment consisted mostly of rollers, blocks, jacks, and handspikes. The French were the first to develop a wheeled carriage with four trunnion notches, two for firing and two for travelling. For really heavy barrels, sling carts with wheels as large as 10 feet in diameter were used, drawn by mules, or men if necessary.

If you look closely at the photo, you will see the carriage with the recoil/elevation system being towed in front of the barrel transport carriages.
Very normal for large artillery pieces of that period.
Those are likely guns in the 200 mm range.
Gregg