German 1936 7.9 box label abbreviations

Have looked in the various reference books and pages on the net but not found any explanation for the “H” (literally) after the P in the projectile maker on this box. Also was BKIW an early maker of primers that later dropped the manufacture of Zdh 88? Only seen either SKD or RWS/dnf on newer boxes. And third: does the star after P207 have any special significance? It is repeated down by the case maker indication.

Soren

BKIW Berliner-Karlsruhr Industrie Werke: A Conglomerate formed under the Versailles Treaty Rules to take over varous WW I German Ammo Makers.(DWM) RWS was a subsidiary, I think.

1936 was the First year of the general introduction of the “P” Coded Ammo Plants, in violation of the Versailles Limitations.

As to manufacture of ZdH88, this continued up to 1945; only the Zdh30 and 30/40 were used in Steel cases, the 88 reserved for Brass cases (AFAIK).

BTW, what is P207?

Regards,
Doc AV
A V Ballistics.

P207 was the Metallwerk Odertal GmbH, later used the code of bne. RWS was part of the BKIW group of companies, that makes sense. Though later on RWS had their own name on the boxes. That leaves on question unanswered: Who or what was the “H” after P (probably for Polte) could it be a lot-numbering prefix/suffix? -Like the a at the lot number for the primer…?
Soren

[quote=“DocAV”]BKIW Berliner-Karlsruhr Industrie Werke: A Conglomerate formed under the Versailles Treaty Rules to take over varous WW I German Ammo Makers.(DWM) RWS was a subsidiary, I think.

1936 was the First year of the general introduction of the “P” Coded Ammo Plants, in violation of the Versailles Limitations.

As to manufacture of ZdH88, this continued up to 1945; only the Zdh30 and 30/40 were used in Steel cases, the 88 reserved for Brass cases (AFAIK).

BTW, what is P207?

Regards,
Doc AV
A V Ballistics.[/quote]

@ DopcAV

It happened 10 years earlier.

Polte was starting a few years after WW1 with the production of ammunition.
First only Ex. (1921), and in November 1923 with ball 7,9 ammunition.

In violation of the Versailles Limitations four factories, two in Germany, were starting production with a small character behind the “P” These were Pi, Pö, Pu and Ps.

The fist document I know from “73/26 Jwg 2 III geh.Kdos. Z.” of 18.11.1926, where companies getting there new “P” code. Pö is renamed to P25. Orders to Pi, Ps and Pu were not renewed.
New was manufacturer P120.

Rgds
Dutch

Doc, the zdh88 is quite common in steel cases as well. Standard until different primers were developed. JH

[quote]BKIW Berliner-Karlsruhr Industrie Werke: A Conglomerate formed under the Versailles Treaty Rules to
take over varous WW I German Ammo Makers.(DWM) RWS was a subsidiary, I think.[/quote]

Wrong :)

BKIW was the old DWM company that had simply changed it’s name in order to shed the association with the production of weapons and ammunition during the post-WW1 era. So BKIW = DWM, nothing more, nothing less.

RWS merged with Gustav Genschow & Co.'s ammuntion branch.

@mausernut:

I do not know what or who “H” is but what I found is that the P"H" projectile maker only appears on s.S. ammo box labels made by P207 from 1935 till 1937. Perhaps Mr. Butler knows more…

Greetz,
Kurt

Thanks Kurt, that narrows it down quite a bit. Could be some subcontractor to Polte or a new factory line for bullets. Box comes from a new batch I’ve just received, mostly Polte 1925 and all the Pxxx makers from 1934 to 40. Interesting stuff.
Soren