German 20mm

Here was a weekend Gun show find…

Case headstamp -

Bullet - avk11d40 (small white writing) auy15b41148g (painted with Wafnampt in center Wa???)

Bullet Base - Marked - B.d.Z. 1513 eed (on top) 2E2 1942 (bottom)

NICE! 20x80 MGFF ???

Very nice example, That stencilling on the projectile looks almost new. Many of these have been re-painted, but that one is almost definitely original.

Are you sure the projectile is inert? (Does the base plug unscrew)?

As posted on the BOCN board, this shell is a bit of a mixed bag. It is an API 2cm Pzbrgr. (Phosphor) o. Zerl, (not an APHE as I first said when I did not notice the “Ph” stamp) or possibly an APIT and it is unlikely it was ever fitted to the FF case, although I believe it was used in the MG 151/20. It was certainly used with the Flak 30/38.

However, whichever it is it should have a base plug or a base tracer plug and not a Bd.Z 1513 base fuze. Then just to complicate matters it seems that the Germans used empty 1513 fuze housings as base plugs anyway.

The doubt is whether the red tip and band above the driving band is the trace colour or whether it indicates a Tropen round.

It has also been pointed out that the Waffenamt eagle is an army one and if this was originally an FF shell it would have a Luftwaffe eagle.

Overall it seems that the shell is a mismatch to the case.

Regards
TonyE

Hi!

This shell is certainly not destined to an MG FF case! It is a typical 2 cm Flak one. It seems that somebody made a good mix to make some extra cash…!!!

Cheers

Philippe

[quote=“Falcon”]Very nice example, That stencilling on the projectile looks almost new. Many of these have been re-painted, but that one is almost definitely original.

Are you sure the projectile is inert? (Does the base plug unscrew)?[/quote]

As TonyE mentioned there is some questions…

I removed the fuze and the projectile is empty… now I have to figure what fuze is correct and what case is correct and have to locate them…

For the projectile you will need a 20x138B case made in 1940 and a tracer screw for the base of the projectile.

For your FF case you will need an “air force” API projectile with a blue band, the base plug you have will fit then.

[quote=“EOD”]For the projectile you will need a 20x138B case made in 1940 and a tracer screw for the base of the projectile.

For your FF case you will need an “air force” API projectile with a blue band, the base plug you have will fit then.[/quote]

Thanks EOD… now the hunt begins :D