German 7.62x39mm?

A few year ago here in the US, we had 7.62x39mm ammunition available that came in plain, white 20 rd boxes marked with the caliber, quantity and “Made in Germany” in black ink. Inside were lacquered steel cased cartridges with a GMCS lead cored projectile. Headstamps were commonly East German or Romanian, but some Bulgarian, Soviet and Polish headstamps turned up as well. From what I could gather, this was surplus ammunition that was remanufactured by replacing the steel cored “PS” type projectile with a lead core projectile made by Hirtenberg in Austria. The big question is this: Where was the actual re-manufacturing work performed?
I was told by a German fellow (who claimed to be the supplier of the projectiles) that it was done in Germany at one of the former East German ammo plants. I just recently was told by a large US based ammunition and surplus importer that this ammunition was remanufactured in Hungary by MFS as he recieved his shipment of this ammunition from MFS. I say he is wrong and is confusing the Hungarian re-manufactured 7.62x39mm with Hungarian headstamped cases with the German stuff. Does anyone know for sure the tru story of this ammunion?

AKMS

[quote=“AKMS”]A few year ago here in the US, we had 7.62x39mm ammunition available that came in plain, white 20 rd boxes marked with the caliber, quantity and “Made in Germany” in black ink. Inside were lacquered steel cased cartridges with a GMCS lead cored projectile. Headstamps were commonly East German or Romanian, but some Bulgarian, Soviet and Polish headstamps turned up as well. From what I could gather, this was surplus ammunition that was remanufactured by replacing the steel cored “PS” type projectile with a lead core projectile made by Hirtenberg in Austria. The big question is this: Where was the actual re-manufacturing work performed?
I was told by a German fellow (who claimed to be the supplier of the projectiles) that it was done in Germany at one of the former East German ammo plants. I just recently was told by a large US based ammunition and surplus importer that this ammunition was remanufactured in Hungary by MFS as he recieved his shipment of this ammunition from MFS. I say he is wrong and is confusing the Hungarian re-manufactured 7.62x39mm with Hungarian headstamped cases with the German stuff. Does anyone know for sure the tru story of this ammunion?

AKMS[/quote]

Hi, I still have the “Bill” in file (for tax reasons we have to keep them 15 years) for the Hirtenberger bullets (actually US-made bullets bought by HP but not used up) sold to the Luebben-Factory plant in former east Germany. They used them up, to replace the iron cored bullets from the east german ammo in stock, as otherwise an export to the US would be impossible. The first ones where exported as is, means with soft iron core…and than the ATF issued a stern warning to the importers of it…hence the sellers where oblieged to do something:-)
Good for me at that time …
I got rid of about 400.000 bullets :-)), not big business, but otherwise I would maybe still sell on them by the 100…

Forensic
This white boxes where clearly made by L

Many thanks for clarifying this issue Forensic. Did Lubben use more than the 400,000 projectiles you supplied? It seems as though several million rounds of this ammunition was imported to the US. The first rounds I saw were with typical East German headstamps, followed by many rounds with the Romanian “22 80” headstamp. Later on, Soviet, Hungarian and Bulgarian headstamped cartridges appeared, all in the same white boxes. Were any other companies engaged in this “remanufacture” program? We know that MFS in Hungary remanufactured Hungarian headstamped 7.62x39mm, but could they have had access to East German or other ammunition as well? Can you say which US company made the original projectiles for Hirtenberg?
Sadly I cannot refer to my copies of Herr Mischenger’s books untill after Christmas this year!

AKMS

I cannot remember really, but think, it was Sierra or Speer bullets, as they had only a tombak -nonmagnetic- jacket. Thats why I bought them to sell to private reloaders. We sold about 100000 to privates.
SM from Chemnitz also bought many of this bullets to unload/reload military ammo from his stock. Mostly Tracers and non-eastgerman stuff was taken appart and reloaded from this firm. If he exported to the US, ???

Usually the Boxes from L