German 7,65mm Para in Swiss M+F boxes?

Until now, I assumed that these ammunition boxes came from the production of M+F in Thun. The design of the boxes corresponds exactly to that of M+F in the 1940’s, only the labels have a different inscription (this inscription without indication of origin, however, has always raised questions).

Recently, I had the opportunity to photograph these two open boxes in a collection. One box contains cartridges from GECO (HS: GECO 12 o’clock, 7.65 6 o’clock) and the other cartridges from a manufacturer unknown to me (HS: 7.65 6 o’clock).

I still suspect that these boxes were packed by M+F in Thun. The different origin of the cartridges could explain the missing indication of origin on the box on the label. However, why foreign cartridges would have been packaged in Thun (based on the way the boxes are made, I suspect in the 1940’s) is completely unclear to me.

Questions:

1. Does anyone have an alternative theory on the origin of these boxes (not from M+F in Thun)?

2. Does anyone know the manufacturer of the cartridge with HS 7.65 (6 o’clock)?

Any comments are welcome!

Alexander

DSCN0040 Kopie

1 Like

This type box was used to pack Swiss made 9x19mm headstamped “P 24” The Allied Control Commission forced the cancellation of this contract. There is no question in my mind that the cancellation occurred well before the completion of the contract. This topic is well covered in the IAA Journal. The P 24 headstamped 9x19mm is shown in a Portuguese military document as being in the military stocks. There is significant evidence that the residual assets, cases-bullets-primers, were sent to Polte.

Perhaps these boxes are residual assets from this contract and were used by Geco.The ammunition sure looks like Geco. From the early 1920s Geco stamped a date code on the bottom or sides of most of their boxes, or on the inside. is there a letter or number & letter code (usually 2 or 4 characters) on these boxes.

Very strange items. I suspect the boxes and labels are Swiss.

Cheers,
Lew

Thanks for the information Lew - from where can I get this article in the IAA Journal?

There is no data code stamped on these boxes - however I saw once such a box with a red data stamp from 1940

1 Like