German 7,9 P334 lacquered steel with un crimped primers

Besides the loader P25 (who produced many lots from 1939 through mid 1940 with un crimped primers in their lacquered steel cased 7,9), I have noticed that P334 was doing the same with the lacquered cases as well, at least in the sS loading. Does anyone (Dutch or Phil?) know at what point P334 started/stopped the practice in lot numbers. I have always speculated that the lacquered primer pocket acted as a sufficient “lock” on the primer and crimps were considered unnecessary. That is only a guess however. I have shot large amounts of the P334 of this lot without crimps, and the primers have stayed put and in fact can be quite difficult to remove after firing, much more so than German brass cases or German CWS with crimps. Once again, I suspect because of the lacquered pocket. JH

Great box.

It was the first lacquered steel case of this plant.
The second known lot (15) had primer crimps.

Rgds

Thanks for the info Dutch. I have several hundred boxes of this exact loading here at the house. If you decide to drop by with Phil again this spring, you are certainly welcome to one if you do not already have an example. JH

The round yes, the box is missing. :)

btw my ticket to AZ is already booked.

Yours
Dutch

NO PRIMER CRIMPS ?

I have seen similar names arguing that tactial rounds (ball etc.) have to have crimps and only blanks have no crimps.

WHAT ?

Why the contention when you folks already know Germany made plenty of 7.9s without primer crimps.

Sheeesh !

[quote=“DrSchmittCSAEOD”]NO PRIMER CRIMPS ?

I have seen similar names arguing that tactial rounds (ball etc.) have to have crimps and only blanks have no crimps.

WHAT ?

Why the contention when you folks already know Germany made plenty of 7.9s without primer crimps.

Sheeesh ! Primer retention practices in brass cased German 7,9 service cartridges was well established when the then new lacquered steel cases began to appear. The lack of primer crimping in some early lots of these lacquered steel cases, while interesting, was soon replaced with the standard crimping practices seen on brass cased German Military 7,9. Blank, no crimp required, ball, AP, etc, crimped primers required. JH

“I have shot large amounts of the P334 of this lot without crimps, and the primers have stayed put and in fact can be quite difficult to remove after firing, much more so than German brass cases or German CWS with crimps. Once again, I suspect because of the lacquered pocket”.

“Besides the loader P25 (who produced many lots from 1939 through mid 1940 with un crimped primers in their lacquered steel cased 7,9)”…

QUOTES ABOVE - ARE ALL YOU.

Woodin Lab has many BRASS 7.9s of the era in tactical loads without primer crimps.

Steel cases, no primer crimp - brass cases, no primer crimp. You say crimps are required. I guess that means they are required except when they are not.

Keep shooting. I like you guys who shoot up the old ammo with or without primer crimps.

I do enjoy shooting period ammunition as I believe it gives me a much better feel for both the 7,9 cartridge and the weapons that it was designed for. I do know that many cartridge collectors can not shoot because of where they live, or simply choose not to. I use the German MG42 in a lot of my 7,9 shooting because it will quickly find the weakness in ammunition. The MG42 was also instrumental in German 7,9 development, requiring the Germans to perfect both the lacquered steel cartridge case & cartridge case waxing. I know that I am not alone in this view as my favorite MG42, a dfb 44 , was purchased about two decades ago from a relatively well known collector/shooter…Bill Woodin. JH