German 7,9 x 57 IS propelling cartridge for Japan

Here is a japanese document handling german propelling cartidges for the japanese grenade discharger trials. Japan get several german grenade dischargers, equipment and training and developement officers.
It is curious that we delivered cartridges with these star crimp to Japan.
Japan finally developed the T 2 ( 1942) discharger. Find a translation at the left. Click into the drawing for a better view.

[quote=“genkideskan”]
It is curious that we delivered cartridges with these star crimp to Japan.
.[/quote]

Why curious, it was German army issue?

The Japanese drawing is too poor to see the actual type of grenade blank. But, who has ever seen a grenade blank with that headstamp? also, it says that the blank is “brass, in addition iorn.” I am sure “iron” is properly translated, in this case, “steel.” One thing is sure - the headstamp pictured is not for a brass case!

Interesting.

I think it is copper plated and then it will fit existing specimen.

Interesting. German army issue ? For what rifle grenade ?

For the first “Gewehrsprenggranate”.

Great head stamp. Unknown until now.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]The Japanese drawing is too poor to see the actual type of grenade blank. But, who has ever seen a grenade blank with that headstamp? also, it says that the blank is “brass, in addition iorn.” I am sure “iron” is properly translated, in this case, “steel.” One thing is sure - the headstamp pictured is not for a brass case!

Interesting.[/quote]

John,
This round is a lacquered steel case Treiber.

The first test cases from the

Dutch - wow! Great headstamp. I agree completely that there is too much coincidence here. I agree that the Japanese probably did make a mistake on the drawing, separating the “i1” from the Steel Material Code and turning it ino an “11” lot number.

Thanks for posting this photo. Have never seen this headstamp before, let alone on a grenade blank.