German 7.92mm Incendiary?

Can anyone please help with more information on the round pictured. The headstamp is P69 3 26 S if the picture is not clear. The X-Ray looks similar to the WW1 Incendiary Spitzgesschoss. I have checked both Kent and ‘Die Militarepatronen Kalibre7.9mm but can find no good matches. Any information, particularly about the production and use of such ammunition would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Buster

I can only tell you that this round is not from the factory that later used the “P69” code. It is part of a series of rounds that seemed to be a clandestine joint project between Hirtenberg of Austria and Solothurn of Switzerland, with the end user probably to be Germany and likely a violation of the Hague convention regarding German armament after WWI. I don’t know all the details, but there are a series of loads, some with this very early use of “P69” and others with “Pi” as the manufacturer mark.

Perhaps some one can chime in with the total history of these rounds. I had a good series of them, but they are long gone now. I have a picture of the box labels for some, but they do not provide any useful information. Not surprising considering the circumstances of the project.

Is the tip blue or black? The blue background confuses my image.

The tip is definately black.

“Von der Patrone 88 zur Patrone S” by Windisch/Kellner/Mike/Platzer (another excellent book) lists the bullet tip color code of this P69 3 26 S series as follows:

red – SmK (AP)
yellow – SPr (incendiary)
green – SmK L’spur (AP-T)
black – B-Patrone (observation)

John – If you have pictures of the boxes/labels from this series I would sure like to get a copy of them.

I don’t know what the internals of the Austrian B-Patrone look like but I would think that since the Germans accepted the design the German bullets would be very similar.

Here is a comparison of your X-Ray with a sectioned German B-Patrone V Trop I have.

A German SPr weighs approx 349.0 grains/22.6 grams. A German B-Patronen weighs approx. 375 grains/24.3 grams if that helps any.

[quote=“pbutler”]“Von der Patrone 88 zur Patrone S” by Windisch/Kellner/Mike/Platzer (another excellent book) lists the bullet tip color code of this P69 3 26 S series as follows:

red – SmK (AP)
yellow – SPr (incendiary)
green – SmK L’spur (AP-T)
black – B-Patrone (observation)

John – If you have pictures of the boxes/labels from this series I would sure like to get a copy of them.[/quote]

Does anyone in the US sell this book ?

Thanks for all the replies so far. I will try and get a better definition X-Ray, but won’t be able to do this for a few days. I will post it when done.

Buster

I tried another couple of X Rays but the definition is no better. I have weighed the round as PDbutler suggested and it comes out at 374 grains, which I guess mean it must be a B Patrone.

Thanks for all the responses.

Buster